Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont start up, blue screen flash, restarts

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rzarekt

Rzarekt

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:56 PM

Computer wont start up, after the windows loading screen there is a blue screen that flashes for a second then the computer just restarts.
Cannot go into any of the safe modes either or last known configuration same thing happens.
Have run recovery console and did a chkdsk /p, no probloems there so I figure it must be a virus or something?

Would greatly appreciate assistance

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rzarekt

Rzarekt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:11 AM

update, I video taped the computer screen, and during the blue flash, what i could make from the video is
"..has been detected and windows has shut down..."
"...BOOT_VOLUME"
"..is the first time you've seen this stop error..."
"make sure any new hardware or software is properly...."

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:37 AM

To get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.
Record the error message details, and post in this thread.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 Rzarekt

Rzarekt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

Thanks, after disabling the automatic restart on system failure, I took down what the blue screen said.

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you may need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software . Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safemode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safemode.

Technical Information

***STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8B5F3900, 0x80000003, 0x00000000, 0x000000000)"

and that was the blue screen message, and to add, I have not recently added any new hardware or software, my computer just restarted while it was on and then the blue screen thing happened.

I have googled the unmountable boot volume, and tried what other peoples soultions said to do, but that didnt work
they were
recovery console
chkdsk /p
fixboot
and chkdsk/r
fixboot

neither worked.

Hopeto get some help, thanks.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,770 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:34 AM

0x000000ED: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
The kernel mode I/O subsystem attempted to mount the boot volume and it failed. This error also might occur during an upgrade to Win XP on systems that use higher throughput ATA disks or controllers with incorrect cabling. In some cases, your system might appear to work normally after you restart.

Source: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

You wrote that you had tried "chkdsk/r". Assuming you meant to type "chkdsk /r" ? (with a space between "chkdsk" and "/r")
When you loaded the Recovery Console ....
1. did you log in to the "C:\WINDOWS" installation?
2. did the prompt read exactly "C:\WINDOWS>" or not?
3. Did "chkdsk /r" run properly, completing all 5 stages, with no errors?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#6 Rzarekt

Rzarekt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

Yea I did use a space between the chkdsk /r,
also I logged into the C:/Windows by selecting it using the number 1, then put in the administrators password which is none, so I didn't type in the c:/windows bit , so there could be no errors there.

Also the chkdsk /r ran properly, I didnt sit and watch it but after it finished it said it completed sucessfully eith no errors.

In reference to the quote I do believe my computer restarted do the windows update ><.

I am currently running it on linux so hardware is fine, its just windows.

#7 nsikis

nsikis

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:31 PM

When the system is infected problems like; restarting, blue screen, booting failure occurs. The best step to get the system back is to reinstall the operating system to have the system save. At this time it is only the operating system that us is corrupt, Use an windows installation CD to reinstallt the Operating System.

Laptop Villa

Edited by nsikis, 25 December 2009 - 03:32 PM.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,770 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:50 AM

Before we get too carried away we should try the following ...
Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Last known good configuration", and press the <ENTER> key.
The computer will attempt to load Windows.
If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for at least 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.
Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.

In the event that we cannot get your system operating again, what are your thoughts on wiping the hard drive and doing a clean install of Windows? Are you prepared for doing this?

Edit ...
You wrote: "In reference to the quote I do believe my computer restarted do the windows update ><."
Are you saying that the restart may have been initiated by Windows Update, to complete an update?
Initially, you hinted that the restart may have been caused by malware/virus.
It would make a big difference if we could know for sure which it was.

Edited by AustrAlien, 26 December 2009 - 05:56 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:16 AM

Other thoughts:

Possible repair installation???

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297185
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...ips/doug92.mspx

First two links are pertaining to the error code...Second two pertain to Repair Installation...You won't lose files doing a repair...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#10 Rzarekt

Rzarekt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for all the input,
I have now tried the "last known configuration" at least ten times, and still windows fails to start up.
I have not tried to do a repait install, the option for repair install did not come up on the windows cd for some reason, I will try another windows cd in the meantime,
About wiping the hard drive and doing a clean install, I think this is probably going to be the most likely thing I will have to end up doing, but as of yet, I do not have any extra storage space to back up the contents.

I do believe now it was because of the windows update, initially I thought it was malware or virus, because my computer had a few malware or viruses on them such as the google redirect thing and a couple other things that affect the internet,
But when i read that windows update could have caused it, I do remember the windows update thing coming up and I clicked restart later so it minimised, but then left the computer unattended and those things usually pop back up, then when I came back the computer was restarting with the blue screen.

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,770 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:43 AM

About wiping the hard drive and doing a clean install, I think this is probably going to be the most likely thing I will have to end up doing, but as of yet, I do not have any extra storage space to back up the contents.

Given that there is malware on your system, it may be the best option to proceed with.

There seems to be a good chance that the computer re-start was indeed initiated by Windows Updates. However, the problem that followed may or may not be due to the update itself. The latest update(s) can be found and un-installed, but there is no guarantee that it will resolve the problem.

You wrote: "I do not have any extra storage space to back up"
I suggest you do this as a matter of high priority, and consider your options in the meantime.
Your computer is infected with malware, so you will need to be careful.

Note: Files with the following extensions should not be backed up:
.exe
.scr
.htm
.html
.xml
.zip
.rar
.asp
.php

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 Rzarekt

Rzarekt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:38 AM

Okay, its been a while, but I now have another hard drive.
I've installed windows on the new hard drive and it runs fine, and now I am preparing to back up the files I need.
BUT, On my original hard drive, I have this program called folder lock which locks and hides some files in a "locker" folder.
When accessing it through the new windows hard drive it comes up as if it was first installed and the locker is empty.
I'm sure the only way for me to get the files is to access it through the original windows hard drive.
So is there anyway I can fix the blue screen of death on that windows??
or any other way you know that I can make the folder locker work as if it was running on the old windows hard drive??

Thanks! really appreciate your help.

#13 Rzarekt

Rzarekt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:19 AM

**UPDATE**
problem with folder locker fixed with app mover
http://www.funduc.com/app_mover.htm

On to the next step, what is the best way to back up my files whilst avoiding the possibly infected files?

thanks.

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,770 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:05 AM

what is the best way to back up my files whilst avoiding the possibly infected files?

Scan the infected hard drive with everything you can throw at it ... at the very least scan with your updated anti-virus, before copying any files from it.

To see the file extensions:
  • Show hidden and system files and folders by doing the following:
  • Launch Windows Explorer by opening "My Computer". On the menu bar, go to
  • Tools > Folder Options > and click on the "View" tab
  • Using the scroll bar at the side of the dialog box, find and check-mark "Show hidden files and folders", UNcheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)", and also UNcheck "Hide extensions for known file types".
  • Click "Apply to All Folders", click "Apply" and click "OK".

The safest practice is not to backup any executable files (*.exe), screensavers (*.scr), autorun (.ini) or script files (.php, .asp, .htm, .html, .xml ) files because they may be infected by malware. Avoid backing up compressed files (.zip, .cab, .rar) that have executable files inside them as some types of malware can penetrate and infect .exe files within compressed files too. Other types of malware may even disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of file(s) so be sure you look closely at the full file name. Then make sure you scan the backed up data with your anti-virus prior to copying it back to your hard drive.

Again, do not back up any data with the following file extensions: exe, .scr, .ini, .htm, .html, .php, .asp, .xml, .zip, .rar, .cab as they may be infected.

Source: quietman7 http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1390964

Edited by AustrAlien, 04 January 2010 - 07:06 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users