Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Failure to display security and shut down options" (Windows 7, 32 bit)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:46 PM

When performing more demanding tasks, which I try to avoid, programs on my Windows 7 32-bit stop responding/freeze, and pressing CTRL+SHIFT+DELETE or CTRL+ALT+DELETE don't do anything until the system's had enough time to do whatever it's doing, after which point the screen turns black with just the mouse cursor, and, after a while, this error message pops up:

Failure to display security and shut down options
The logon process was unable to display security and logon options when CTRL+ALT+DELETE was pressed. If the operating system does not respond, press ESC or restart the computer by using the power switch.
[OK]

I hit OK, and the system comes back, but it's clear it still has freezing/performance issues, because the whole thing soon repeats again. I've found that, to fix it, even restarting isn't satisfactory, because doing so won't help the computer "forget" that it was overworked, so, instead, I shut it down, for no less than 15 minutes, then start it up again, and it acts fresh again. Then I have to be careful not to overwork it again.

But is there any way to help my Windows 7 take on those more straining processes? Googling "failure to display security and shut down options" surprisingly only gave me a few hits, and nothing helped.

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
System Manufacturer: Tyan Computer Corporation
System Model: S2668 Tiger i7505
BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
Processor: Intel® Xeon™ CPU 3.06GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3072MB RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:16 PM

Could you explain what programs you are trying to run that cause these problems?

With specs like that (high RAM, fast processor), you shouldn't be experiencing freeze-ups (even with heavy gaming and such).

And Windows 7 likely isn't your problem either. Unless you should be running 64-bit instead of 32-bit. I don't know much about 64-bit Windows, but I do know that machines with high RAM and fast processors typically get installed with 64-bit versions of Windows (x64 architecture can utilize more memory).

I've never seen or heard of this error message. Could you provide a list of currently running programs, system resource usage (RAM and processor percentages), etc? Maybe we can narrow down exactly what is dragging down what should be a very fast machine.

I have Windows 7 myself, and it is very fast (with less RAM and a slower processor than yours).

The only way I can drag it down is by running multiple virtual machines at a time (just running about 30 different applications to try and max it out barely used half my resources, haha). But those virtual machines are resource hogs (for obvious reasons).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Jewel of the Delta

Jewel of the Delta

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:43 PM

"Failure to display security and shut down options"

Windows Experience Index: 3.3
Windows 7 Professional SP1
32-bit
RAM: 5.00 GB (2.75 usable)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA785GM-US2H

System had "System Cleaner" Fake Virus;
Cleaned using: iExplore, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Immunet, Kerpersky, Windows Defender, etc.

Start Menu does not show Windows Icons, Windows Update, Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Movie Maker, etc. Does not Show Accessories,

Has this error: (x)Not Found "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\Computer Management.lnk" make sure you typed the path correctly, ... Browse for shortcut option;

Mouse behaves irratically;

Sys had an SeaGate 1TB USB HDD attached when the error occurred.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/failure-to-display-security-and-shut-down-options/2a2c979a-7983-4575-9580-617301e58988

Louis

#5 Jewel of the Delta

Jewel of the Delta

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

"Failure to display security and shut down options"

Windows Experience Index: 3.3
Windows 7 Professional SP1
32-bit
RAM: 5.00 GB (2.75 usable)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA785GM-US2H

System had "System Cleaner" Fake Virus;
Cleaned using: iExplore, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Immunet, Kerpersky, Windows Defender, etc.

Start Menu does not show Windows Icons, Windows Update, Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Movie Maker, etc. Does not Show Accessories,

Has this error: (x)Not Found "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\Computer Management.lnk" make sure you typed the path correctly, ... Browse for shortcut option;

Mouse behaves irratically;

Sys had an SeaGate 1TB USB HDD attached when the error occurred.

Once I unhide the files hidden by System Cleaner the computer dehaves normally. After 36 hours of on and off, web surfing, and running MSPUB, Word, Excel, (2007) have had no additional concerns with "Failure to display security and shut down options" .

Sometimes I know just what I did. :)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:51 AM

I suggest that you remove...System Cleaner and similar programs...from your system.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users