Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan.FakeAlert/Rootkit.TDSS viruses keep coming back

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Barcode

Barcode

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:07 AM

Hello,

A few days ago, I suddely got spammed by some fake antivirus called "Antimalware".
I suspected it was fake so proceeded to boot up my pc in safe mode and Google the sollution.
From there I've read in similar situation that I should download "Malwarebyte's Anti-malware".
I updated it to version 1.42 and let it scan without any programs on safe mode. It found 35 or so infected viruses
and deleted em. After this I rebooted my pc and everything was working fine again, except that I couldnt
run checkdisk or defragmentation. When i rebooted my PC again, my pc kept crashing when trying to open simple things like 'My computer' or internet, but at least the spamming of AntiMalware was gone. I rebooted it again in safe mode, scanned again and it found 3 files. Each time
I delete these (called: 2x trojan.FakeAlert and Rootkit.TDSS) they keep coming back when I reboot. i'm now typing
this in safe mode as I cant open internet on normal mode.

Here's the log of my last scan: (It's in dutch so I hope you can read it - if not I can do it in english
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.42
Database versie: 3392
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 (Safe Mode)
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11

19-12-2009 12:42:44
mbam-log-2009-12-19 (12-42-44).txt

Scan type: Volledige Scan (A:\|C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\|G:\|)
Objecten gescand: 261760
Verstreken tijd: 33 minute(s), 26 second(s)

Geheugenprocessen ge´nfecteerd: 0
Geheugenmodulen ge´nfecteerd: 1
Registersleutels ge´nfecteerd: 1
Registerwaarden ge´nfecteerd: 0
Registerdata bestanden ge´nfecteerd: 0
Mappen ge´nfecteerd: 0
Bestanden ge´nfecteerd: 1

Geheugenprocessen ge´nfecteerd:
(Geen kwaadaardige items gevonden)

Geheugenmodulen ge´nfecteerd:
\\?\globalroot\systemroot\system32\H8SRThxvgjklylq.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.

Registersleutels ge´nfecteerd:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\H8SRT (Rootkit.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registerwaarden ge´nfecteerd:

Registerdata bestanden ge´nfecteerd:

Mappen ge´nfecteerd:

Bestanden ge´nfecteerd:
\\?\globalroot\systemroot\system32\H8SRThxvgjklylq.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:26 AM

Rootkit.TDSS
\\?\globalroot\systemroot\system32\H8SRThxvgjklylq.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert)

You are heavily infected with a very persistent rootkit

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

You will also be instructed to create a Root Repeal Log

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

The HJT team is very busy and it will take awhile to get to your post
Please be patient and good luck
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 32,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:49 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/280044/infected-with-trojanfakealertrootkittdss-virus-from-antimalware/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days, up to two weeks perhaps less, to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users