Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Deployment toolkit

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DEATHlLINK

DEATHlLINK

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

ok so im still learning and java confuses me. I see I have the java deployment toolkit 6.0.160.1 and 6.0.170.4 now should I be deleting older versions of this and where would I locate it to do so. All the java/adobe/sun micro systems jre type stuff is there an easy way to manage these updates and delete the old versions?

Edited by DEATHlLINK, 15 December 2009 - 01:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:33 PM

To uninstall all previous versions : http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_java.xml.

Then go here: http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp. From then on java will advise you when a new version is available.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

JAVARA
http://raproducts.org/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 DEATHlLINK

DEATHlLINK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 03:03 AM

Thanks I have JavaRA but it didnt remove the old deployment toolkits. I will just uninstall and reinstall I think

#5 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:07 AM

The latest JAVA is JRE 1.6.0.17 from Sun Microsystems. You should get rid of the old stuff before putting in the new. The sun website should help you with that. www.sun.com

Edited by news4la, 19 December 2009 - 08:13 AM.

On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

#6 SeoulSalsero

SeoulSalsero

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

I'm just getting into this discussion and this forum on the tail end of this discussion but I'll go ahead and ask my question anyway.

I bought a new (I think it was new :-) Del Inspiron N4010 this last weekend....here in Korea where I teach English. I'm still getting used to it. Just now I got a pop-up that said, ""Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.170.4

Firefox has determined that the following add-ons are known to cause stability or security problems."

And then it recommended and gave me the option to disable it.

Does that sound strange?

I don't know precisely when that add-on got on my machine....i.e. whether it was there already or whether it got on in the process of me installing Firefox yesterday. But I don't have any reason to assume that's it's malicious. And.....aren't Firefox add-ons usually OK and not known to cause problems?

Advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Art

#7 RedDawn

RedDawn

• BC Advisor
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:30 PM

Hello Art,

Looks like your Java is just out of date. Follow the instructions in the link below to update to the latest version.

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/windo...ne_download.xml

Note:

Oracle has partnered with companies that offer various products. The installer may present you with option to install these programs when you install Java.

Be sure to reject these if offered unless you actually want them. They are not necessary.
Regards,
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,021 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:01 AM

Also remember to uninstall all older versions of Java before updating to the latest.

Firefox has determined that the following add-ons are known to cause stability or security problems."

And then it recommended and gave me the option to disable it.

Does that sound strange?

No, it doesn't sound strange to me as that is the developers of Firefox at Mozilla looking out for your security. Java is much like Windows; vulnerabilities are discovered that need to be patched with an update. No one knew the vulnerability existed when Java was installed, but, once discovered, and once Mozilla has been informed, they have in turn informed you that the Add-On (in this case a plugin--Add-ons are both plugins and extensions; check the tabs in your Add-On Manager) is unsafe. If it's a newly discovered vulnerability, I recommend that you take Mozilla's advice and disable the Add-on until a patch is issued. For Java check their website for the latest version. In your case, you already had an old version of Java installed when you installed Firefox, so the Plugin being unsafe had been known for some time and updating to the latest version will fix the problem, as RedDawn has suggested.

And.....aren't Firefox add-ons usually OK and not known to cause problems?

Actually, no, just the opposite. When having problems with Firefox, usually extensions are the first things looked at when troubleshooting. That is why Firefox has a safe mode, which can run it with all Add-Ons disabled.
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Safe+mode

I think your question may actually be more along the lines of "Isn't Firefox supposed to be a safe browser?" And the answer is that Firefox is safer than other browsers, but not absolutely safe as there is no such thing for any application in Windows. Firefox is no magic bullet. They do a pretty good job of patching holes in the browser when discovered, but Add-Ons and especially extensions, are higher risk as they are controlled by third parties and there are way too many of them for Mozilla to vet every one. That being said, Mozilla also can be questioned on some of its security policies. For example, up until a few versions ago, it allowed some extensions to be hidden from the Add-ons manager and there are still some extensions that take a registry edit to uninstall.

So keep an eye on your own security--don't trust a browser to do it all.
And I may be obliged to defend
Every love every ending
Or maybe there's no obligations now,
Maybe I've a reason to believe
We all will be received
In Graceland--Paul Simon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users