Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor won't stay on

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 10pin

10pin

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:07 PM

Image on monitor only stays for a few seconds but the power light stays on. If I shut the power off and turn back on it does the same thing. Tried on another computer, same results.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 5,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:50 PM

What variety of monitor is it?

Assuming an LCD, that symptom is commonly a backlight inverter fault, occasionally a faulty lamp.
Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

Great minds like a think.

#3 10pin

10pin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was getting on Google search. It's a 15 inch Dell flat panel.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 5,800 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:03 AM

Unfortunately, unless you can contemplate a self-repair or have a technical contact, a 15" probably isn't worth getting anything done with.
Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

#5 10pin

10pin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:00 AM

Thanks again. Will trash it and get another one.

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:51 PM

In case you feel like recovering a little cash, post it on craigslist or ebay with model number and a truthful description of what's wrong and someone local might buy it from you for 30.00 or so. Dell backlight inverters are pretty cheap and some make some cash repairing them and reselling them. It is a gamble though, as the problem might be in the lcd power supply or the CCFL tubes themselves.

BTW a test is to hold a flashlight up to the screen when attached to a booted computer. If you see the login screen or your normal background, the chance that an inverter replacement will fix it goes up.

#7 bigpizza2000

bigpizza2000

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:23 PM

Hi

I am having a similar problem with my monitor (Acer AL1511).
I turn it on, and although the PC is booting up fine, the image won't stay on the screen for more than a second at a time. However turning the monitor on and off repeatedly (currently around 25 times!) I eventually get it to work. It doesn't then have any problems until next time I turn it off.

It does sound like a 'backlight converter' issue as previously mentioned in this post, since I can see my login screen very faintly from certain angles.

It used to just take 6 or 7 switch-on-switch-offs to make it work, now I'm up to 25 but might be worth a shot for anyone who can't afford a new monitor at this time of year :thumbsup:)

Regards,
Jenny

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 5,800 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:09 PM

I think there's a chance it has faulty electrolytic capacitors, and if you can tackle a job like that yourself, or know someone who can, it could be worth trying a repair. Otherwise, again for a 15", it's hard to justify trying a repair if it's going to cost much.

#9 antikson

antikson

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:08 AM

That's bad to hear from you........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users