Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc shuts OFF (but not in safe mode)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crumpybumpy

crumpybumpy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:22 PM

My pc shuts OFF as if you ripped the plug out of the wall. No shut down or anything....EXCEPT when I am in safe-mode. It only happens when I am in windows in high rez video mode. It happns randomly and is getting progressively worse. Here is my system:

Win XP Pro SP2
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 3800
1 Gig DDR Ram (2 512 meg sticks)
GigaByte GA-M55SLI-S4 Motherboard with most current BIOS
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS x2 in SLI mode
Western Digital black 1TB hard drive
SBlive Audigy Platinum
Raidmax Smilodon Case

Here is what I have done to trouble-shoot:

At first I thought it was due to a root-kit trojan..which I did have...and that was about the time that the problems occurred. To save my data, I bought a new hard drive and did a fresh install of WinXP. I transferred my data over to this second drive. I could only do it by connecting the first drive through a SATA-Usb adapter. When I connected the first drive to the PC as a data drive it would shut it off. The second drive worked ok for a month or two and then the same shut off recurred. So I installed a THIRD 1 TB drive from scratch, with NO data from the previous drives. The fresh install worked on this third drive ....but when I installed the motherboard's NVIDIA drivers, it would still randomly shut off, except in safe mode.

I monitored temperatures--everything was staying in the 25C range. All fans were working and i cleaned everything thoroughly with compressed air. Plus the pc would shut off within seconds of getting into windows, even if power was turned off for days.

So I bought a new 630 watt power supply. Still randomly shuts off, except in safe mode.

So i pulled all of my cards out of the pc. I pulled out one ram stick and swapped ram sticks. I pulled out 1 video card, and tried swapping the one video card. Still pc would shut off, except in safe mode.

I even tried plugging the pc into an entirely different set of outlets located far away from where it is normally plugged in...but I never have any blown fuses or anything. One time my kids had some helium baloons down here and the pc did shut off....but this was months before this major problem started.

So that is where I am at. To me it seems to be a bad motherboard??? But WHY can I still run this very stable in Safe mode??? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:06 AM

Safe mode doesn't load all drivers.

If you have a system that runs fine (protracted period of time) in safe mode, but doesn't run as consistently in normal mode...that makes no sense, since we are not talking about booting issues (which is the only point I know of where safe mode differs with normal mode).

<<It only happens when I am in windows in high rez video mode.>>

That would seem to point to damaged video drivers, since they would not load in safe mode.

But that is negated by the fact that you state that you have tried various video cards.

Louis

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:55 PM

You have change your P/S and video card. You are not humping them in safe mode. I would look at my temps.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:15 AM

I would look for error messages in Event Viewer that might point the way.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users