Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData missing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:30 AM

Hi i recently done a clean out of my system and found that a file has gone missing, the file being C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\TemporaryInternetFiles\ContentIE5 has gone missing, but when i run ccleaner which may i add i only use for cleaning out my cookies and cache, it is there, and when i click on the file and it says show detailed information, it has in it
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\TemporaryInternetFiles\ContentIE5\Y15BS1BX\animated_connector_broken
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\TemporaryInternetFiles\ContentIE5\C11OBYX6\unknown_state_connector
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\TemporaryInternetFiles\ContentIE5\9FY1C8F
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\TemporaryInternetFiles\ContentIE5\S0AJOHNA\animated_connetor_c_loop
what are these files and where are they hidding, because ccleaner is picking them out, but when i do a manual search, i can only get to
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\
and then i can't find the TemporaryInternetFiles folder so where can it have gone to !

Any Help Thanks !

Edited by doinmeedin, 03 December 2009 - 11:31 AM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:49 PM

hi ,,,, these could be hidden system files maybe ??
also googled it,,,, take a read through some of these,,, cant test most of it out on mine as i dont have the file your looking for,,
http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&q=conte...0376c673d384194
good luck.

Edited by figgis41, 03 December 2009 - 02:59 PM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 doinmeedin

doinmeedin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:02 PM

Cheers Figgis that was a great help mate, by what i read they are files that IE writes every time you pen it up, but deleting them does no good they just return on reboot anyway, the only thing that is confusing me though is, i don't freakin use IE ! :huh:

Edited by doinmeedin, 03 December 2009 - 04:05 PM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:43 PM

lol,,,, i dont either,,, and when ie5 was around i never had a pc,,,, hahahhaha
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 RobO 2009

RobO 2009

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:57 PM

Hello and it has been a long time for me also to use IE browser. But I do remember when I broke it a long time ago when cleaning temp files.
Run the repair function and/or uninstall in add/remove in control panel.

#6 odeho19

odeho19

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:25 PM

@ doinmeedin, all those files you listed ARE hidden files. MS hides them so you can't accidentally mess with them, and screw up what IT thinks are vital to your system environment, (re: IE). But what MS thinks is important, you and I DO NOT! :huh: Go to your Control Panel, and find your Folders and open it up. Click on the View tab, and about half way down change the radio button to "show hidden files and folders". Remember to click on Apply, then Ok, and then go looking for your files/folders then.

Any time you see a string with "App Data" in it, it will be in that folder, and IT WILL BE HIDDEN under normal use circumstances. But once you unhide it, and subsequently the rest of that string, you can do what ever you'd like to it. (re: copy, delete, add......). I would advise creating a restore point BEFORE doing any of these steps 1st, just in case you accidentally lose/write over anything that you actually find out later you wanted/needed! LOL

I believe CCleaner "sees" these hidden files and folders when it's doing it's job, because it is so thorough. But, alas, we as mere mortals, need special tools in order to see them. Anyways, good luck with this project.

OH
"Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be Happy!" - Ben Franklin

#7 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:02 AM

hi,,,,i found out some more about this particular file ContentIE5,,,, apparently this file holds the browsers history and can be cleared out when you flush the browser,,,,, then there is the file you cannot clean out,,, ever,, but you need a certain program to read this file,,,, or more like the files in this folder,,,, its the index.dat folder and this also holds your browsing history and cannot be deleted,, but also cannot be read,,, unless microsoft let you.
http://www.acesoft.net/delete_index.dat_files.htm

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\Content.IE5\index.dat
our file content.IE5 also has the index.dat file in it
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users