Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

removing ad aware

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:35 PM

hi-
how would i remove ad-aware from my computer? i've tried right clicking the icon and clicking delete and it brings me to the add/remove programs page, but i cannot find ad aware anywhere and i have tried this a few times....

any ideas..

thank you for your time...

-sharpie-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C03_M4NN

C03_M4NN

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:44 PM

Hi, first i would recommend stopping it by right clickin on the icon in the sys tray and shutting it down to fully remove it.

Next start / progs / lava soft/ will give u the option to uninstall

Best of luck.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:35 PM

From the LavaSoft FAQ's

There are several alternatives you can use to uninstall Ad-Aware SE:
Click "Uninstall Ad-Aware" in the Lavasoft folder of your Start menu.
If you are unable to do that, open your control panel, click "Add/remove programs," and locate Ad-Aware SE.
Another method to uninstall is to locate and double-click the file "unwise.exe" (the .exe may not be shown). You should be able to find this file in C:\program files\lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE [Personal/Plus/Professional]\.

If the above alternatives do not work, or you get a message saying, "Can’t find Install.log," you will need to manually uninstall the software. To do this:
Click on "My Computer" and locate your Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE folder (C:\program files\lavasoft\ad-aware).
Run the file "unregaaw.exe".
Delete the entire Ad-Aware SE folder.
Delete your Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE link in your Start menu (if present).
Delete the Ad-Aware SE icon (s) from your desktop (if present).
Navigate to "C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name] \Application Data\Lavasoft" and delete the entire Lavasoft folder.
Empty your trash bin.
Reboot your computer.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for trying to help, but i have a few more questions...

animal-the top part of your instructions didn't work so i tried the bottom and i went to C:\program files\lavasoft\ad-aware
the instructions also say to run unregaaw.exe so when i try it, i get a message that says windows cannot find file...and when i try to delete the entire ad aware se folder i get an error message saying-
"error deleting file or folder
cannot delete AAWService.exe. Access is denied" and another message that says

"cannot delete resources.dll accsess is denied"

Thank you for the help, but what do you think i should now to try and delete ad aware?

-sharpie

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,338 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:06 PM

Since you are getting "Access is Denied" messages I would see if the following KB article How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP, grants you access to them. I'm assuming this is an XP OS.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#6 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:37 PM

yeah sp3. i didnt think it would take so much time to remove ad-aware. pain in the ass.

#7 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:47 AM

ok i dont want to remove it,but how do i get it to stop loading during boot up. im trying to knock off as much programs as possible.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,338 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:46 PM

Use a start up manager such a one that is included in Revo uninstaller or autoruns. There are others as well. It's a personl choice. You can disable it from starting that way.

Andrew Brown

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users