Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus disabled keyboard?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 123oliver

123oliver

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:48 PM

Hi

I would be greatful for any help.

Today my sister in laws laptop stopped working and then tonight my wife opened an email from her that it turns out she didn't send (it was titled 'dear sir madam). We later turned our laptop on again and the keyboard and touchpad weren't working. I have restarted the laptop and both keyboard and mouse are working again but I am worried that we may now have a virus?

I am guessing that her laptop has a virus and that the email has transferred it to our machine?

Does this sound familiar to anyone and what can I do to check?

All help welcome.

Thanks

Oliver.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 123oliver

123oliver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:50 AM

Hi

I have run Avast, Ad-Aware and Malwarebytes' Anti Malware and none of them have picked up on anything.

I have just spoken with my wife and she said that the email was on her Yahoo account and she didn't open any files or click on any links. Could you still get a virus by just opening a Yahoo mail? She deleted after a few seconds when she realised that it wasn't sent by her sister.

Thanks

Oliver.

PS......Just to mention - When our touchpad wasn't working a USB mouse worked fine and when the keyboard wasn't working I went into the control panel and under 'keyboard' it said that the device wasn't working and I think that it gave a code 10.

Just seems like too much of a coincidence to not be a virus spread by the sister in laws machine??????

#3 123oliver

123oliver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:07 PM

Hi

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Even if you just think it was a coincidence please say!

I haven't managed to locate a virus with any of my protection programmes but am still concerned - don't want to send mails or plug into my external hard drive just in case.

All help welcome.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:58 AM

the email was on her Yahoo account and she didn't open any files or click on any links. Could you still get a virus by just opening a Yahoo mail?

It is most unlikely that you have picked up any malware from simply opening an email .... especially since as I understand it to be the case, the email was simply viewed using a browser, and not downloaded to the computer? You can come to no harm simply opening an email to view the contents. I think you are 100% safe there!

I am interested in the keyboard problem though ... I might get a couple of links for you to have a look at. Can you explain a little more about it?

code 39 keyboard win XP .... & Vista: Error message seem in Device Manager
http://www.siliconguide.com/qa/forum/messages/340.shtml
See page 1, posts by Bas13 (7/04/2007) & creaturex (5/03/2008)

blandmc TSF
Ctrl+Alt+Del not working at login
http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-...tml#post2452375

USB devices detected in BIOS- but not working
http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-s...ot-working.html

Re: Keyboard Failure and Mouse Failure on Boot Up
http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-...re-boot-up.html

Edited by AustrAlien, 02 December 2009 - 04:07 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 123oliver

123oliver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:02 PM

Hi

Thanks for the info.

The keyboard and touchpad have been fine since so maybe it was just a coincidence. It has never happend before though so does seem odd.

I have done a system restore as someone said this may remove any virus? Sounds as though this wasn't needed but it wont do any harm.

Thanks for the info - the mail was definatley not downloaded onto the machine so should be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users