Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VBALGRID issue?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 zachj

zachj

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:06 PM

The typical issues that im reading on this Vbalgrid error. I have no taskbar, cannot access IE, and other issues.
I was attempting to upgrade to xp windows service pack 3 (currently on 2). After several attempts i kept getting access denied in the middle of trying to update. Off the microsoft site i found instructions to create a registry reset.cmd file and run it. After running it and then restarting, my computer started having the issues. This was the contents of the reset.cmd file that i ran.
cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

Anyhow so I started attempting the steps from a similar post on this site.. I downloaded the visual basic 6 file, ran the RKill file and then attempted to run Rootrepeal but it froze up and got a low memory error.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mov cx ax

mov cx ax

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:21 PM

Try This:

Lets take a look with Malwarebytes

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here:
Malwarebytes
Please rename the file BEFORE downloading to abcdefg.exe instead of mbam-setup.exe

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

Double Click abcdefg.exe to install the application.
* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy&Paste the entire MBAM report (even if it does not find anything) in your next reply

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

If Malwarebytes won't install or run

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:28 AM

:flowers:
Please download Win32kDiag.exe by AD and save it to your desktop.
alternate download 1
alternate download 2
  • This tool will create a diagnostic report
  • Double-click on Win32kDiag.exe to run and let it finish.
  • When it states Finished! Press any key to exit..., press any key on your keyboard to close the program.
  • A file called Win32kDiag.txt should be created on your Desktop.
  • Open that file in Notepad and copy/paste the entire contents (from Starting up... to Finished! Press any key to exit...) in your next reply.
--------------------------------------

:thumbsup: Go to Posted Image > Run..., then copy and paste this command into the open box: cmd
Click OK.
At the command prompt C:\>, copy and paste the following command and press Enter:
DIR /a/s %windir%\scecli.dll %windir%\netlogon.dll %windir%\eventlog.dll >Log.txt & START notepad Log.txt
A file called log.txt should be created on your Desktop.
Open that file and copy/paste the contents in your next reply.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 zachj

zachj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:26 PM

Im trying the moderators suggestion here first. But as i mentioned I don't have a taskbar so i can't get to the START button. It won't even let me copy and paste. I was able to pull up the Run item through task manager. I put the code in the CMD screen and it said file specified could not be found. Of course i had to type the whole thing in because copy&paste will not work, but i double checked it for accuracy.

Thw Win32diag.txt is below which didn't appear to work either..

Running from: C:\Documents and Settings\Zach\Desktop\Win32kDiag.exe Log file at : C:\Documents and Settings\Zach\Desktop\
Win32kDiag.txt WARNING: Could not get backup privileges! Searching 'C:\WINDOWS'... Finished!

#5 zachj

zachj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

And regarding MOV's suggestion... I am not able to change the file name for Malwarebytes to abcdefg.exe, the computer is so messed up that it does not give the option to change the name before saving, it just saves it. I tried renaming the file once it downloaded to my desktop but that didn't work, still getting the runtime error when trying to run the program(vbalgrid.ocx may be missing....)

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:55 PM

Try this:

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
Do not reboot the computer or you will have to run it again

Then run Mbam
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 zachj

zachj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:31 PM

nope mbam won't run after running rkill, still getting the runtime error 372.. "Failed to load control vbalgrid from vbalsgrid.ocx......" I also tried running rootrepeal as im assuming you will ask me to do next and it sits on a screen saying "initializing" forever and never runs and an error screen comes up saying low virtual memory.

Ive researched this topic for two days now and i have seen no resolutions to this issue, all dead ends. I may have to run recovery console which will be tough cause lost the xp cd.

#8 zachj

zachj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:23 PM

This is really an emergency, Im running my business off this computer and im completely shutdown now. So far everything ive been asked to do are repeats of things i mentioned i already tried in the original post, as if someone didn't even bother to read the original post. Do you have anything new that i can try here. My computer is a complete mess.
thank you

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:31 PM

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

You will also be instructed to create a Root Repeal Log

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

The HJT team is very busy and it will take awhile to get to your post
Please be patient and good luck
Mark
Posted Image

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,468 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:38 PM

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276878/no-taskbar-no-start-button-cannot-copypaste-or-run-ie/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days, up to two weeks perhaps less, to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users