Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to download or record silverlight videos with DMR protection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 identityx92

identityx92

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:54 PM

I just wonder how to download silverlight with DMR protection. I've tried many application to do so, but I could not download them. I've tried using DownloadHelper, a firefox Add-on, and also with software of the kind Replay AV without success. Trying to download a video, I used an old program called WebVideoCap, and it worked and I got the .wmv file; however, when I tried to open it, all my players said that the coded to play the audio doesn't exist or is unknown.
Any suggestion? What can I do? Do you think that WebVideoCao, which uses WinPCap actually got to download the video? What is the best tool to remove DMR protection from wmv files (in case, the file I got to download it is really the video?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,465 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:11 AM

I am not aware of any programs that will download DRM protected videos. There are programs that claim to do it but none of them work. And most of the products that claim to do that work only for Flash. Silverlight isn't in wide enough use yet for anyone to try and develop programs to download Silverlight videos.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:55 AM

I just wonder how to download silverlight with DMR protection.

I'm not sure that I understand your question. Silverlight is not a format; it is a development platform, unlike flv formats which are specific to Flash. If you are merely trying to download videos that you have no right to download, then I am afraid that we can't help you. Our policy is to not assist in matters where the topic is to defeat security measures.

Silverlight isn't in wide enough use yet for anyone to try and develop programs to download Silverlight videos

That's not exactly true. It is in use by Netflix, NFL, Playboy, and Victoria's Secret, just to name a few. How do you define "wide use?" :thumbsup:

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,465 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:59 PM

All viral video sites use Flash. If Microsoft were to sign with one of those sites like Daily Motion or the new music video site Vevo that's launching in a couple of weeks, that would be one thing. So relative to Flash, Silverlight is in limited use and that isn't going to change anytime soon. I haven't checked so I don't know if there's a video download product that works with Silverlight. I have never come across a Silverlight video in the wild.

Edited by frankp316, 20 November 2009 - 01:02 PM.

#5 rentin

rentin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:30 AM

Yeah. Until now, Micrisoft silverlight video technology is still not widely used in normal videos.

And days ago, I tried best to get to know some info about it and finally recorded successfully. I want to share you some knowledge about silverlight. It is a video player that sends video stream like adobe flash player. When send video stream, it will send many video files instead of sending video as a whole file disposably. And most of silverlight videos are windows media video(wmv) format that have been protected with heavy DRM, so you may be can't download them.

The last resort I found in Google is to record silverlight stream is to capture it straightforwardly from computer screen or desktop. Then I even use the video recorder to convert the wmv video to mpeg and transfer it to my iPhone.

Edited by rentin, 17 October 2011 - 07:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users