Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:39 PM

First, I'm not asking for clarification on anything illegal or trying to hack my Windows 7 Upgrade disk.
Second, I've called bot HP and Microsoft, no help there. Microsoft said call HP, HP said call someone else in HP, that guy gave me a bad 1-800 number to a meat processing plant in VA *(no lie, the number was 1-800-552-3052). I re-looked up a Microsoft Tech number, and the guy there didn't really answer my question.

I bought a pre made (worst decision of my life) computer from HP. They got a weird system going on where they tattoo their Vista key to the mobo of your computer so only that key can be used. Foils hackers, but makes it a pain for everybody else.

I'm also ordering a 32 bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade because my laptop was purchased after the date. I'm going to be putting that un-modified upgrade on my home desktop (HP a6700f) instead of my laptop. All the better for gaming.

I have a 3-disk HP recovery Vista disks, which is the only means to get Vista back onto my HP Desktop. I have the OEM licensing key for Vista.

I currently have Linux Ubuntu 9.04 installed, the Vista restore takes 3+ hours, and I've heard of major problems with upgrading a Windows OS instead of clean installing it.

Question time: Is there any way to do a clean install of my Windows 7 Home Premium x32 upgrade disk to my computer with a tattoo'ed Vista Home Premium x64 key, the key is both virtual and available to me.

And on a final note, if there's any way to trade the Win 7 x32 I'm getting for a Win 7 of the same type x64, let me know. My only option seems to sell it and use the funds (no profit) to buy a x64, but that seems like it would be illegal. Selling free stuff for money doesn't seem to be a good idea, even though you still end up with 2 OS's on 2 computers with paying for 1 (and 1 free). Even though they would have no way to trace it.

Thanks!

I know there's way to perform a clean install from a upgrade disk, http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_ins...grade_media.asp
I want to avoid installing Vista. Ever again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:03 AM

Note- when I bought my Win 7 Upgrade for Home Premium the kit contained both the 32bit and 64bit discs.

I had no problems with the upgrade - I ran WindowsUpgradeAdvisor first.

It is said you can only do a clean install (CUSTOM) from an upgrade disc IF the upgrade first finds a legit copy of Vista but see:
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/

Don't think you can Trade.

#3 maki2012

maki2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:15 PM

Yeah, calling toshiba for info. Though I'm a system builder, I'll probably trade down (or up?) for an OEM version ($15 cheaper). Still, hopefully I can sell the upgrade to someone.

Interesting for the new OEM licence. Too bad, even though they can't track it. Why implement something you can't enforce?

Edited by maki2012, 18 November 2009 - 05:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users