Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a virus? CMDCONS folder...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Howard Santos

Howard Santos

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:45 AM

Hey...I just reformatted my laptop. It has just recently recovered from the dreaded HUELAR virus (thanks to the guys here helping! :thumbsup: ). So anyway, I installed the free edition of Avast! Antivirus and I believed it erased most of the remnants left by the HUELAR thing, but when I opened my drive d:\, I noticed that it still has a CMDCONS folder. I didn't open it fearing that I'd re-start the virus so I just left it there. Anyway, I'd like to know more about this CMDCONS folder and what it does...can you guys please help me?

And also, is there a virus that "destroys" the windows\system32\config\system file? 'Cause after I reformatted my laptop, it happened to me TWICE that the said file were either corrupted or missing, so I had to reformat thrice now (all in all). Again, could you guys help me? Many, many thanks! :flowers:

EDIT: Moved to XP

Edited by garmanma, 16 November 2009 - 10:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:03 AM

The CMDCONS folder in the root of the Windows system drive is the XP Recovery Console, probably installed when you have used ComboFix in your previous adventures at BC. It is nothing to worry about. Do you see the opportunity to load the Recovery Console OR Windows XP when your computer starts up. Well, that is because you do have the CMDCONS folder. It is wise to keep it available.

On the other hand .... a corrupted or missing "system" file is another matter (not related to any virus), and since you have seen it since reformatting, it needs to be dealt with in the XP forum area. So you can expect this thread to be moved there if you wish to continue with that subject.

The first thing that you should do is to check that your hard drive is not failing.
Download the diagnostic utility from the hard drive manufacturer's website to create a bootable floppy or CD. Boot with it, and run the short/quick test and then the long/extended test, and check the S.M.A.R.T. status. If the hard drive tests show NO problems what-so-ever with the hard drive, then it is safe to proceed with more work to rectify the problem with the Windows system.

Firstly, you need to find the brand name of your hard drive. You will find this info on the label of the hard drive (most likely you will have to remove the hard drive from the box to read the label). You will also find sufficient info to identify the drive (the model number) by looking in the BIOS Setup Menu. Another alternative is to use something like Everest or Belarc Advisor.

EVEREST Free Edition 2.20
http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit (Version 8.1b)
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

The Hitachi diagnostic tool can be used with most hard drives, if you have any trouble determining the brand of your HDD.

Edited by AustrAlien, 16 November 2009 - 01:14 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Howard Santos

Howard Santos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:14 AM

THanks AustrAlien...you know what, I did then hard drive self-test twice on the BIOS Setup screen, and it failed both times but this was during when my laptop can't boot because the system file was either corrupt or missing...

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:18 AM

I did then hard drive self-test twice on the BIOS Setup screen, and it failed both times

You have a Dell laptop?
Dell diagnostics are believable! That is good enough. Get yourself a new hard drive!
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 Howard Santos

Howard Santos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:32 AM

No I got HP. HP Pavillion dv4000

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:40 AM

No I got HP. HP Pavillion dv4000

I don't have any knowledge of the reliablity of the HP diagnostics.
You may wish to test it with the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility, if you want a "second-opinion".
But I think I would be safe if I put my money on the HP verdict/diagnosis.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 Howard Santos

Howard Santos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:45 AM

Ok...anyway, I'll try the diagnostic tools you recommended. If it still happens, then I'm gonna follow your advice and buy a new HD. Thanks so much bro!

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:50 AM

Thanks so much bro!

Too easy! No worries.

Good luck and take care.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users