Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ADOBE ACROBAT 7.0 pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 frittella

frittella

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:03 AM

I have just installed the new operating system Windows 7 and then also installed ADOBE ACROBAT 7.0 pro and Office 2003. And for some reasons, I cannot create PDF files anymore. In fact, I get the warning 20225 because the PDF printer could not be installed during installation of ADOBE. Warning says: AA7.0 Setup was unable to create a new item: Adobe PDF Prort and Printer. The Adobe PDF Printer may be unavailable.
Even trying to fix the installation does not work. And all the solutions online are for Windows XP. This is the Hijack file:

EDIT: Log removed-Not relevant to the problem and not allowed in this forum ~ MG

Edited by garmanma, 09 November 2009 - 11:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdamV

AdamV

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:31 AM

Not really sure this needs a hijack this log.

Since the Adobe Pro is installing a printer driver as it's mechanism to convert documents, this would need to be suitable for the OS. I am guessing this is a 32-bit version of Acrobat being installed on the 64-bit version of Windows 7, and this therefore won't work.

Did you see the error you mention during the installation?

I don't know if there was a 64-bit of Acrobat Pro 7, there is for Pro 9 to run on Vista 64 (and therefore should be fine on Win7).

Do you need all the features of this app, or could you use a free PDF generating tool like FreePDF or CutePDF? There are also other low-cost alternatives which are more feature-rich than most free ones.
Due to global warming, eskimos now have more than 20 words for water John O'Farrell

Professional geek, consultant and trainer.
MCT, MCSA, MMI, MBMSS, CWNA, COS (I like to have lettuce after my name)
My personal blog - Getting IT right

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who is running the store?

• Members
  • 2,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:05 AM

From the Adobe website h e r e:

Do Adobe Acrobat 9 and Adobe Reader 9 support Windows 7?
Yes. Adobe will support Windows 7 with Acrobat 9 and Adobe Reader 9. Adobe has tested Acrobat 9 and Adobe Reader 9 software on Windows 7 and found our solutions perform to our high standards of quality and performance.* Earlier versions of Acrobat and Adobe Reader may run on Windows 7. However, Adobe does not support Acrobat 8, Adobe Reader 8 or prior versions on Windows 7 and does not plan to release updates to those versions for Windows 7 compatibility. Enterprise customers with a Gold or Platinum support plan can contact Customer Support for Windows 7 migration planning tips, best practices, and advice. Visit www.adobe.com/support for the latest product support information.

(bold mine for emphasis)

Sure implies that Version 7 may not work properly on Win 7 to me.

Posted Image
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:48 AM

You can use Adobe Acrobat Pro 7.0 in XP mode in Windows 7.

Install XP mode :
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

#5 AdamV

AdamV

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:31 PM

You can use Adobe Acrobat Pro 7.0 in XP mode in Windows 7.

Install XP mode :
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Which would mean running the other apps, eg Office 2003 inside the XP VM as well, to get any real use out of the printer driver.
Sounds like a horrid way to work, and might as well stick with XP as the main OS rather than upgrading.

I still say the issue is as likely to be 64 bit Windows, and re-installing as 32-bit might be a way to avoid the problem.
Due to global warming, eskimos now have more than 20 words for water John O'Farrell

Professional geek, consultant and trainer.
MCT, MCSA, MMI, MBMSS, CWNA, COS (I like to have lettuce after my name)
My personal blog - Getting IT right

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who is running the store?

• Members
  • 2,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:53 PM

I agree, AdamV, it could be a 64bit/32bit problem, although if Acrobat 7 isn't supported under Win 7 at all, whether he is running Win 7 in either 32 bit or 64 bit may not matter.

Also, it should be noted, one must have Win 7 Pro, Ultimate, or Enterprise in order to dowload and run the virtual "XP Mode".

If frittella wants to print PDF from Office, maybe installing something like CutePDF Writer would solve the problem?

Posted Image
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:22 AM

Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional fails to install printer driver in 64bit windows. It is a known limitation.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/331/331732.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users