Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashed...can't get it to start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DJRSXS

DJRSXS

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:43 PM

Hi all, so last night I got the blue screen of death, and when I went to restart it, it says "Windows cannot start because the following file is missing or corrupt Windows\System32\config/system" Please use recovery cd and hit "r" during bootup blah blah

So obviously my system file is screwed up. But I can't even get into windows to replace it. Is there any way that I can fix this? My CD-R doesn't work anymore (It quit a year or so ago for some reason?) and I don't know where the recovery cd is at anyways. Is it possible to start windows via floppy or flash drive? I have a huge amount of files on my computer that cannot be replaced. If it is possible, could somebody point me in the right direction? Thank you!

Edit- So I just tried to boot it by using floppy, everything seemed to be going well until it got to the 4th disk which it then stopped and said "Adpu160m.sys is corrupted, setup failed" This is so annoying....you try to fix one problem and in order to get to it you have to fix 10 other ones first. *rolls eyes*

Edited by DJRSXS, 15 October 2009 - 05:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johnfrusciante

johnfrusciante

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:28 PM

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

You could try putting linux on a usb drive, and boot off that. You would have to replace that config/system file from the system restore backup, which is here, near the middle:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

#3 DJRSXS

DJRSXS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:34 PM

Alright guys, nevermind the thread, I was able to get it fixed. Here is what I did in case anybody else is having this problem and wants to try and fix it too.

I ripped out another CD-R out of computer that I used to use and connected it to mine. Threw in the disc and all went ok until it asked me for the admin password (which I had no idea what it was) and I couldn't figure it out (I'm the only one that uses this comp so I just assumed it would be the password that I use for everything.....? Anyways, I put in the recovery cd and it went to setup, I went to smoke, came back in and it was turned on and in windows like normal....lol I don't know how it happened but I'm not going to ask questions :thumbsup: :flowers:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:54 PM

Well...that's what the error message told you to do.

Seems obvious to me that it's a recovery/restore disk and not a MS XP install CD. These are tailor-made for the specific system it came with...so, I suggest that you double-check your system to see if all programs are installed and accessible...and all your previous data files are the same.

Usually when these disks go to setup, they overwrite your existing install and start the system off with the programs which initially came with the system.

Just for the record, system manufacturer and model?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users