Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error -- dynamic link library msvcrt.dll".

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 akmark5000

akmark5000

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:48 PM

I was doing some installing and uninstalling. I ended up with a blue screen.
Some kind of error message flashed on there, but the computer quickly restarts and was unable to boot all the way into the administrator account.

Eventually, I booted into safe mode and used "the last known good configuration" to boot up.

The only thing not working was the networking adapter, so, I replaced it.

Since I am here, you can safely assume that it was successful.

Unfortunately, a few hours later I found that when I click certain video games I get 3 an error messages;

==> "The procedure entry point ??_V@YAXPAX@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll".

I click "ok/continue" to each and then I am able to play them as I did --only no error messages.

I did some online research and searched the forums as much as I could, but nothing helped resolve my issue.

Here's some other programs not working that I know of:

- Avira Antivir virus scanner is not updating
- Yahoo and ICQ Messangers ...cannot sign-in
- Internet Explorer (Firefox seems ok)

Any help would be appreciated.

Dell 8300 Desktop
Windows XP Pro SP3

Edited by akmark5000, 25 September 2009 - 10:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,165 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:50 PM

It may be possible that your msvcrt.dll is older version. Go to C:\Windows\System32 and right-click on msvcrt.dll, select Properties and see the version. For SP3 it should be 7.0.2600.

This article shows how to replace msvcrt.dll with a newer version : http://www.ehow.com/how_5163573_replace-msvcrtdll.html

#3 akmark5000

akmark5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:25 PM

It may be possible that your msvcrt.dll is older version. Go to C:\Windows\System32 and right-click on msvcrt.dll, select Properties and see the version. For SP3 it should be 7.0.2600.

This article shows how to replace msvcrt.dll with a newer version : http://www.ehow.com/how_5163573_replace-msvcrtdll.html

The version matched [msvcrt.dll 7.0.2600].

As a last effort before sleepy time, I tried System Restore back farther and it went through the motions, but after rebooting it said it failed and no files were changed.

Strange thing is that it must have done something because every thing mentioned in my original post works 9no more error messages... everything works]!

I'll try everything tomorrow and make sure everything continues to work correctly and if all goes well, I'll then make the close case report....

Edited by akmark5000, 25 September 2009 - 11:26 PM.

#4 akmark5000

akmark5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:27 PM

1) Everything still seems to be working fine.

2) However, I can't get windows to handle my network connection. Right now I am using my network adapters utility [Netgear WG111v2 Network Connection Utility Software].

The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service must be corrupted. When I attempt to let windows handel the network adapter configuration my connection does not work and when I attempt to view the "Advanced" settings of my connection, an error appears that says Windows cannot display the properties of this connection. Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) might be corrupted.

Do I need to open a new thread since this is just an annoyance?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users