Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are all Mini-USB Chargers Compatible?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:32 PM

This is a question regarding Mini-USB in reference to cell phones, GPS Devices, and pretty much anything with this jack.

If I have a regular wall charger (110vac) or car charger (12vdc) for one of my Mini-USB Devices, can I use that same charger for ALL devices that accept a charger in that port? I'm asking because I have a car charger for my Garmin GPS that uses Mini-USB and also have a Wall Charger for my Motorola RazrV3 Cell phone, in addition my mom's Blackjack has a Mini-USB plug. Do I need to make sure I use the right charger for the right device or is everything interchangeable?

Please note I am referring ONLY to battery charging via an outlet in either a household wall or a car cigarette lighter, I am not referring to using the protocol for linking to a computer because that's a matter of software.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RTCTech1

RTCTech1

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:25 PM

As for charging your battery, the only device you'll have to worry about is the Razor. I've seen too many cases where you need an actual Motorola Razor charger vs. a standard mini-usb charger. So, if your going out of town with that V3, bring your charger!

#3 bigalexe

bigalexe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:22 PM

Awesome thanks, I was hoping I could use the car cable from the GPS to charge my phone but now I gotta buy one anyway. I crunched the connector in my glovebox hinge and busted it. I guess I'm buying another head for my iGo.

:blink:
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

#4 youserbase

youserbase

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:16 AM

Not all of them are the same. They may look the same,in size, but actually their not. I've got my motorola Razr, i saw a usb charger from my friend so i didn't bring mine. When i borrowed her's. It fitted well into my phone, but it's not charging!

Posted Image

Technology expert and member of youserbase, the technology wiki

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users