Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using a full sized computer keyboard for texting

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 83N50N

83N50N

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:43 PM

Hello,

I conduct business and communicate largely through text messages, and constantly am frustrated with the small size of the buttons on my gen 1 "Samsung Hue" cell phone. My new dream is to use a full sized computer keyboard to text at my home office. Is this possible?

Thank you,

83N50N

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:43 PM

Since the phone does not appear to have a compatible OS or USB input? I don't see how you would have the phone 'recognize' the external keyboard.

EDIT: If you primarily do your business with texting, the more efficient way might be to change to a phone that has a qwerty keyboard as a feature.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:09 PM

You would probably need to have software for the keyboard that is compatible with your device manufacturer. Not to mention you'll need a UBS hookup on the device, or some kind of a converter.

#4 GismoGuy

GismoGuy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

If your phone has bluetooth consider a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

#5 youserbase

youserbase

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:12 AM

Try using bluetooth keyboard. Or you can just change your phone to the one's supporting external keyboard.When my phone's keypad had trouble. i used PC suite and just type through my computer keyboard. That was a motorola phone

Posted Image

Technology expert and member of youserbase, the technology wiki

#6 damedic

damedic

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

Or...

If you say you do lots of texting from home or office, you should look into a program or website that offers "Texting to cellphones from Computer!"

There are many websites that offer this service to many different phone services & carriers. Many are FREE! :wacko:

I used a few of them, until I came across one that I settled on. Check out the following:

http://www.textem.net/

I think you will find it very useful. I did. :blink:
IBM Desktop, w/Intel Pentium 4 HyperThreading - 3000 MhZ, XP Pro SP3, 512 DDR, 80GB Hard Drive

By Author Unknown

"Life was so much easier when your clothes didn't match and girls had cooties!"

#7 rayj0054

rayj0054

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:59 PM

windows live messenger and yahoo messenger work with sms texting to most phones i use them both since i dont get a cell signal in the sticks where im located

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,165 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:15 AM

Many cellphones come with software that lets you use your computer for text-ing. You connect cellphone to computer through USB cable. Then start software, type with computer's keyboard and send to a number.

My Samsung phone allows this using PC Studio 7. Most modern cellphones allow this.

#9 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:26 AM

Well, have you considered devices with QWERTY keypads or slide-out QWERTY keyboards?
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#10 Neese

Neese

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

While at AT&T Wireless' website, there is a feature there to open up from your pc to text to phones from within the website. I've used that before. Perhaps some of the other carriers have this too at thier sites. Might look into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users