Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck on Windows XP Logo Boot Screen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Seacow

Seacow

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:56 AM

I'm stuck in a never-ending loop in the Windows XP Boot Screen with the Logo and the Blue Progress Bar. Whenever I boot into it, I get stuck in it. No the computer doesn't restart, it just stays there,. I think what may have caused it is when I tried to Hibernate my computer, it hanged, so I powered it down by holding the power button for 5 seconds. The thing is though, is that I've done this a LOT of times on my old computer, and never had any problems.

I turn it back on, to find that I'm now stuck in the loop. I've tried 6 System Restore Points that took about 1 hour each, chkdsk /f /v, HDD Regenerator, unplugging peripherals , uninstalling my Graphics Driver, Network Card Drivers and NICs, used the Repair option from my Windows XP disc, used SpinRite Level 4 and a few more I can't remember, none of them worked.

I also have UBCD4Win and Hiren's Boot Disk.

Ever since I've done the Repair, I can't get into Safe Mode any more, saying that "Windows XP Setup can't be started under Safe Mode. The Setup will now restart." After I click OK, the computer restarts, so a bit of a problem there...

Would appreciate any help. Post your thoughts, whatever. A little contribution could go a long way...

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:41 AM

You could try running the fixmbr command from the Recovery Console of the XP install CD.

Louis

#3 Seacow

Seacow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:05 AM

I get through that part. Anyway, I did do that. Didn't work.

Posted Image

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:18 AM

If it's operating system-related...a repair install should fix it.

If it's hardware or malware-related, a repair install won't be effective.

I suggest running a diagnostic (long/extended) on the hard drive.

That error message you quoted...seems to appear after users think that XP can be installed/run from safe mode. It cannot, it must be run from the CD.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 Seacow

Seacow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:10 PM

Running the diagnostic with what tool?

Anyway, here is my rig:

Manufacturer:	  
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Processor: 	
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 920 CPU @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs)

Memory: 	
3070MB RAM

Hard Drive: 	
750 GB Total

Video Card: 	
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

Monitor: 	
CHIMEI CMV 938D Monitor

Sound Card: 	
Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000

Speakers/Headphones: 	
Logitech R-20 Speakers | Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 Headset

Keyboard: 	
QPC PerfiTouch KC-300 Multimedia Keyboard (Model QPCK2032)

Mouse: 	
Logitech G9 Laser Mouse

Mouse Surface: 	
Razer eXactMat (Control side)

Operating System: 	
Windows XP Professional SP3

Motherboard: 	
GIGABYTE Motherboard (Model GA-8VM800PMD-775-RH)

Computer Case: 	
Coolermaster Elite 330/331

Copied from my Xfire Profile. It's up-to-date, but because of Repair not working and reverting it back to SP2, it's now SP2.

As I said before, I did a SpinRite Level 4 check on my computer. Does that counts as a diagnostic? It took pretty long, 9 hour check.

Well it's one good virus if it got through Outpost Firewall, NOD32 Antivirus, SUPERAntiSpyware and WinPatrol Plus 2009. In that case, what is the wisest course of action to do? Scan my system for a virus?

EDIT: Also, can you come on BC's IRC? I prefer to solve my problems real-time, not in a post. No pressure, but I just really prefer it.

Edited by Seacow, 14 September 2009 - 05:17 PM.

Posted Image

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:55 PM

Open the case...and physically take a look at the hard drive. The manufacturer and model number...should be clearly evident, write both down. Use the diagnostic tool recommended at the website of the hard drive manufacturer.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#7 Seacow

Seacow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:16 PM

Don't worry, I know what it is now. Didn't need to take out case. I know I have a Seagate model and the Model ID is ST3500418AS. Gonna get Seatools for DOS and make a bootable floppy from it and run a long test. Too bad my mouse doesn't work though...

EDIT: I know the long test is gonna try and find bad sectors, but I already did that with a SpinRite level 4 check...doesn't that count as a long diagnostic check?

Edited by Seacow, 14 September 2009 - 06:18 PM.

Posted Image

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:40 PM

Ever since I've done the Repair, I can't get into Safe Mode any more, saying that "Windows XP Setup can't be started under Safe Mode. The Setup will now restart." After I click OK, the computer restarts, so a bit of a problem there..

Google ... safe mode xp install setup reboot loop

Check out your boot.ini file and see if that is the problem. For example, have a look at ...
http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/wi...ode-133517.html
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#9 Seacow

Seacow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:56 PM

My boot.ini isn't the problem. I can easily get into Safe Mode and Normal Mode, but I just can't get through the message. I ain't stuck in a never-ending loop that boots into Safe Mode and restarts, I'm stuck in a never-ending loop (with the blue-progress bar) WHEN I go into Normal mode. No restarting or anything. Yes, it's confusing, but I hope you get what I mean.

Edited by Seacow, 14 September 2009 - 06:59 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Seacow

Seacow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:20 PM

My Seagate for DOS Long Test just finished, I get the result "Long Test PASSED". I'm assuming that means that it ain't hardware based, least for the hard drive. Seems like it's malware or a corrupted driver.

Posted Image

#11 Seacow

Seacow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:26 PM

Just ran a virus scan with NOD32 (using SysRescuer). That detected nothing. I'm now gonna delete all non-Microsoft drivers. Drastic problems calls for drastic solutions...if only I could get into Safe Mode. Seems like I'm gonna have to format. Unless anyone has a magic wand, I'm calling the quits.

P.S. Is posting like this allowed mods? Or do I just edit them and add information to the 1 post instead?

Edited by Seacow, 14 September 2009 - 10:31 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users