Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows defender vs. ad-aware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ShrOomiN

ShrOomiN

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:46 AM

Hey everybody. Alright well I'm trying to decide what to use for spy ware protection between free windows defender, and ad-aware free. I'm not majorly concerned because I already have a firewall, anti-virus, but something for spy ware is probably a good idea as well. Anyway I don't mind windows defender but I never know what in the hell it's doing, my task manager tells me that it has two running files that boot up with my computer but does that mean it's actively protecting me? It's not like it gives me an icon in my task bar or anything. As for ad-watch that things alright I like the fact that it actually shows up in my task bar which programs should if there running, all though is the built in ad-watch live thing simply for ad-ware, or spy-ware too?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBoo

MrBoo

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:41 AM

I would personally get either malwarebytes anti malware or SUPERantispyware for spyware protection, but you would have to pay to get real time protection if you choose that. However, if you already have an antivirus with real time protection then real time protection shouldnt be a big deal.

#3 ShrOomiN

ShrOomiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:30 PM

Oh so you're saying with a firewall, and anti-virus I'm most likely protected enough. That's cool but do you know if windows defender is actually running, because it never shows up in my task bar, just only when I open my task manager. And does ad-aware only block ad-ware, or spy-ware too? Between windows defender, and ad-aware though if I had to guess I think ad-aware is better protection, because it has been around for a while now, and it is quite reputable.

#4 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:31 PM

to know if windows defender is running just open it and it will say real time protection on (or off)

neither of them have that good a reputation

i just leave defender running with my antivirus and scan regularly with malwarebytes and superantispyware free editions

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:53 PM

Windows Defender is not known to be particularly effective. A lot of us have it and leave it running because it offers real time protection but don't really use it. If it conflicted with anything, I'd probably ditch it but it doesn't. It was a good product when Microsoft acquired it and then they took the teeth out of it.

#6 ShrOomiN

ShrOomiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:22 AM

Ah, okay it does seem rather ineffective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users