Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Price Gong - is this another rootkit??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 chessie

chessie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:31 PM

One of our family computers is having a rootkit problem and we have been trying to solve it with MalwareBytes. But every time we restart it returns and something called "Price Gong" pops up in the lower right corner. No, it is not the PriceGong application from Firefox, it is different and the little screen has a green background. It goes away when I click the "X" to close it and does not keep popping up like the other rootkits so far. Sorry, but I don't know how to make a screen shot to post here.

I just want to know if anyone has heard of this or is this genuine?

Thanks, totally confused here :flowers: :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:56 PM

Welcome to BC

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

Edited by garmanma, 08 September 2009 - 07:57 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 chessie

chessie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:04 PM

Hello and thanks for replying.

Before I proceed with your instructions, I have a question. I had posted a question under the " BleepingComputer.com > Security > HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal" section regarding this computer. I was not trying to double post but I had already made the error of bumping (THEN saw the "Do not bump your topic" phrase; sorry, my bad). I just was asking here if anyone recognized that name as it has not come up on a Google search or a search here as anything but that FireFox application. I am pretty darn sure it is not the same thing. I have kept the infected computer offline since my last post about it in the hope that may avoid further incursions. At least it keeps my son off YouTube late at night, LOL. So should I wait for the reply on the other post and close this one?

Either way, this remains: rootkit.TDRSS and no matter how many times MalwareBytes is run, it always is there at restart. :flowers:

The Weatherman edited my other post so I believe I am in queue and my HJT log is being reviewed. I did not answer him back yet because I don't want to wrongly bump it again. This is the link to the other post; I don't want to waste the time of two experts if I only need one, so please tell me what I should do. Maybe you can merge the posts? :thumbsup: :trumpet:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/255590/remaining-infections-from-windows-safety-center/

Also, if I am not quite using the forum links and such correctly, my apologies. I am new to this site but very impressed with it.

Chessie

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:45 PM

Please proceed with the other post. It is more than likely I would have sent you there anyways
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users