Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes Scan...should it take this long???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lapetite66

lapetite66

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:17 PM

I attempted to run a full scan on my C drive using Malwarebytes but gave up after 15 hours. Yes, that's right I said 15 hours. I started the scan around 1:20pm and finally got fed up and turned it off around 6:20am.

I know that different Anti-virus tools use different methods and that a full scan isn't as fast as the fast scan but 15 hours is ridiculous!!!:thumbsup:

I've run a full scan using PCtools including all three of my drives and that only took 9 1/2 hours so I don't understand why Malwarebytes took that long and still wasn't finished when I finally got fed up and turned it off. Does the amount of memory and the CPU effect the scan???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:28 PM

Does the amount of memory and the CPU effect the scan???

That as well as the amount of data on the drives effects scan time.

MBAM look`s extremely deep when set to do a full scan.

#3 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:56 PM

Does the amount of memory and the CPU effect the scan???

That as well as the amount of data on the drives effects scan time.

MBAM look`s extremely deep when set to do a full scan.

ThunderZ:

I didn't have any other software running when I run a scan, that's all I do because I know that takes precedence over anything else.

As for my computer setup I have a 2.4 Intel Pentium 3 CPU with 1 GB of memory. I wish I had Duo Core or that Extreme Core by Intel and at least 2GB of memory but I don't so I have to work with what I have. Okay so the MBAM scan will take 20 - 24 hours??? Okay, maybe I'll give it another whirl. I know there's something on this computer because my pctools blocked something trying to access my System 32 file but MBAM didn't find it when I did a quick scan earlier. :thumbsup:

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:06 PM

If PCtools blocked something and your PC is not acting strangely then you are most likely clean.

If you are concerned about infection then it would be located on you Windows (C:) drive. That is really all I would be concerned with scanning.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,780 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:32 PM

I have a lot less ram than you do and have never had a Malwarebytes scan take anywhere near that long. A quick scan takes less than ten minutes and it seem like the full scan takess about an hour on my system. My hard drive is not all that big but even on a very large hard drive I doubt it should take more than a couple of hours

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:28 PM

If you use real-time scan tools that monitor registry changes, such as Spybot's Teatimer function, tihs can happen
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,138 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:54 PM

The speed of an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.
  • The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning for suspicious behavior or a combination of both.
  • Options to scan for spyware, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted or unsafe programs (PUPs).
  • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
  • Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.
  • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
  • Type of operating system installed on the computer.
  • A computer's hard drive size.
  • Disk used capacity (number of files to include temporary files) that have to be scanned.
  • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .tmp, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
  • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
  • Competition for and utilization of system resources by the scanner.
  • Other running processes and programs in the background.
  • Interference from malware.
  • Interference from the user.
To speed up your scans, clean out the temporary files or use ATF Cleaner first, close all open programs, do not use the computer during the scan and then make sure you only do a Quick Scan. MBAM is designed to remove malware as effectively with a Quick Scan as it will with a Full Scan which takes much longer to complete. Both do full heuristics, memory, load points and multiple other malware checks. The Quick Scan looks at the most prevalent places for active malware so scanning every single file on the drive isn't always necessary. The Full Scan only has the ability to catch more traces in rare circumstances.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#8 HowToRemoveSpyware

HowToRemoveSpyware

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:01 PM

I agree with quietman7, in my experience a full malwarebytes scan has taken MAX 2 mmaaaayyybbbee 2 1/2 hours but this is the first time I read 15 hours!!

I would suggest taking the hard drive out and using a different PC to scan that hard drive with MalwareBytes or maybe even Avast Anti-Virus

Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users