Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bubble Popping Noise

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 druseljic

druseljic

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:15 AM

I really hope someone can help. My computer is making a noise that I can only describe as a "bubble popping" sound. It does it intermittently, sometimes every few seconds, and sometimes not for minutes at a time but overall it is a constant annoyance. When it does make the noise, the taskbar at the bottom of the screen pops up (I have it set to hide itself when not in use).

It is terribly annoying and has only been happening for the last couple of weeks.

I use ESET security system. I have also run Spybot, Malwarebytes Antimalware all to no avail.

If you have any ideas please let me know and thanks for the time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:34 AM

Is the sound coming from the computer or from the speakers?

x.png
Boredom Software Stop Highlighting Things

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 817 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:33 AM

If it is coming from the speakers and if you are browsing (surfing) at the time:

Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, then the Sounds tab.

Scroll down to Windows Explorer, highlight the Blocked Pop-up Window selection and click the square black sideways right pointing triangle button (located above the cancel button) to play the sound. Sounds kinda bubbly popping to me.

If that is not it, play some/all the other sounds associated with a speaker looking icon next to it until you hear the annoying sound and identify the name. If you figure out what the sound is, you can fix it.

If it is IE and you don't like it, on the IE menu, click Tools, Pop-up Blocker, Pop-up Blocker Settings and uncheck the Play a sound box...

It is not easy for me to test - I can't get a pop-up even when I want one anymore.

Edited by joseibarra, 26 August 2009 - 05:45 AM.

Jose

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,073 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:07 PM

For convenience:
Windows XP Information Bar Sound
Windows XP Popup Blocker Sound
Windows XP Balloon Tip Sound

Is it one of those?

x.png

#5 druseljic

druseljic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the responses guys! The sound is the last of the sounds posted - Windows XP Balloon Tip Sound.

The sound is coming from the speakers. It seems to happen whether I am surfing (browsing) or not. I use firefox (currently version 3.5.2) - rarely ever use IE. I did try going into options and unchecked the box in firefox for blocking pop up windows unfortunately the sound continued. I didn't get any pop ups though...

Edited by druseljic, 26 August 2009 - 01:09 PM.

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 817 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

I don't have sounds on balloon tips, or any sound when surfing and I rely on Chrome and Firefox.

If I did have sounds while surfing, I would surely disable the annoyance.

There are plenty of other things that will pop though.

Is it associated with a message?

Is it the same sound as System Notification you can hear in Control Panel (which can be set to none)?

If you don't like it, it can be investigated further.
Jose

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,073 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

That sound (the third one) is the default sound that windows XP plays whenever it pops up a balloon tip in the tray.

Balloon tips look like this:
Posted Image

Even if you have balloon tips disabled, the sound still plays whenever one would have appeared. If it's annoying, you can simply set the sound to None in the control panel.

If this is happening a lot, then Windows may be trying to tell you something. Please let us know if you've noticed any other peculiar behavior.

x.png

#8 druseljic

druseljic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:01 PM

I NEVER disabled balloon tips. In fact I used to have a wireless network set up and it was informative to see the balloons regarding network connection, etc. I went in and followed your link and set the balloon tips to on. I then rebooted and shortly after I did I started seeing Malwarebytes Antimalware reporting an "IP Protection Infection Detected" and then an IP address (of which I have seen about 10 since I rebooted). Ok, now I see it is a balloon, but don't have a clue as to what to do next. Everytime that I have run a scan, nothing is detected??? And I'm still at a loss as to why or how the balloon tips were disabled?

And thanks for the help, seriously!

Edited by druseljic, 26 August 2009 - 02:05 PM.

#9 druseljic

druseljic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:20 PM

I looked into this a little more by checking the IP's with who is. All of them are coming from ChinaNet Shanghai Province Network (222.64.95.249 as an example). Could I be infected with something?

Edit: Now I just got one (94.96.6.56) from Saudi Arabia?

Ok I'm lost here...

Edited by druseljic, 26 August 2009 - 02:24 PM.

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,073 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:34 PM

The IP Protection feature of MBAM prevents your computer from connecting to known malicious IP addresses. If you are receiving this warning even when not browsing the internet it may mean that your computer is infected with something that's trying to "phone home" to a known bad website. The good news is that MBAM is preventing the connection from being established. You should start a new topic about this in the Am I Infected? What Do I Do? forum to get help from our malware team. For their reference, be sure to provide a link to this topic.

x.png

#11 slowlybutshelly

slowlybutshelly

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:58 PM

aha. I am getting the windows XP car sound as above in Firefox. But I do not know if it is coming from the speakers or not.

Does anyone know how to help find out what this sound is in Firefox and diasble it there. It is the most annoying sound in the world. The sounds are blunted out, turned off when using Windows XP. Much help would be appreciated.

Edited by slowlybutshelly, 25 May 2010 - 06:59 PM.

Stay well,
SLB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users