Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

want to pick up wireless signal from aunts house next door.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 eboknight

eboknight

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:12 PM

I have reciently seperated from my wife and been forced to move in to my mothers basement, ok laugh all you want ( I am still making payments on the house my wife is living in ).
My aunt has high speed wireless at her house next door and I wanted to find out if there is any type of booster or router that I could get so I could use it in my parents house.
My sister can use my aunts signal with her lap top when she is about half way between the houses.
The houses are a three hundred may be more apart.

Thanks

Its bad enough being away from my kids.
I can't even get on the net to get my mind off things.

David Forsyth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:34 PM

Pretty cheap. Fairly easy to set-up. Work well. Cantennas.

Not the latest and greatest technology but should do the trick.
Set a friend on a budget up with one to connect LEGALLY to his neighbors Wi-Fi. Pretty much plug-aim and use.

#3 eboknight

eboknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

So a regular wireless router would not pick up the signal at that distance. I have a lynksys wireless g on the way. Does the cantenna need to have a clear shot or will it work through walls the room that I plan on putting the router in has no window facing my aunts house.

Thanks Dave

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:49 PM

I`m sorry to say there is not a definite answer to either question.

There are a lot of variables involved. Distance, amount\type of walls, wiring, both inside and out. Cordless phones operating in the 2.4 GHz, certain types of lighting, micro wave ovens, the list go`s on.

Wireless routers and access points do not put out an evenly circular radius signal. It is a matter of finding the sweet spot within the radius.

A wireless router or access point?

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:26 PM

Just buying another wireless router doesn't mean you'll get a signal. Router to Router communication from what I read is iffy. Very few have the capability out of the box, which means a 3rd party firmware. Which has its own set of issues.

There are 2 types of cantenas: 1) Picks up signals 2) Sends signals.

Most of the ones in the link ThunderZ posted are the sending kind. That kind would need to be set up in your Aunt's house and pointed at where you are staying.

I have posted one below, a receiving one. This would be setup where you are and sorta pointed in the direction of your Aunt's house.

I have found something I think is BRILLIANT in its simplicity. The cost is minimal and when you see it you'll laugh but I have looked at it further and some of the videos I have seen show it works. Here it is

Edited by CaveDweller2, 26 August 2009 - 07:49 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 ableg02

ableg02

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:14 PM

why don't you but a wireless router and set it up as a repeater?

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:01 PM

One thing to consider is the the ISP may deem this 'signal theft' even if you have your Aunt's permission. Check the TOU of the ISP. Some have severe penalties. The ISP may notice an upsurge in usage and decide to 'randomly' monitor. Your Aunt could be in trouble and never see it coming.

Just an advisory. Seems you already have things to worry about, no need to make it worse.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 eboknight

eboknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

Is there any way to adapt coxial rg6 cable to be used to extend the cable going to my wireless antenna.
I do not know if they have adapters out there or what. I used to work for directv I figured I could make the wireless antenna out of a directv dish and mount it right to the roof.
Thanks for all your input

#9 Shandley

Shandley

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

We did this using a Yagi antenna (which is a directional antenna). It worked out for us. Just ran some RG8 out with the proper connectors from the wireless router and mounted the Yagi on the roof. The good thing about a Yagi is that it only uses the existing power to the antenna (you CAN get amplifiers) and redirects it in the direction you want. It also produces a bit of back splash for the house it is mounted on. The Yagi more than doubled the range of our wireless in the direction it was pointed.

They are pretty cheap too.

Edited by Shandley, 20 October 2009 - 01:15 PM.

#10 eboknight

eboknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:44 PM

Thanks I will check into the yagi antenna. It would be a lot simpler to run rg6 to bring in the signal.

Thanks

#11 AdamV

AdamV

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:38 PM

There are 2 types of cantenas: 1) Picks up signals 2) Sends signals.

Simply not true, the gain of an antenna is about the same wether sending or receiving.
As an analogy, I can use a telescope to see faint light far away, or I can shine a faint light through a telescope to project the light much further, same thing works both ways

During normal wi-fi operation your antenna needs to do both sending and receiving equally well, not just because of normal network operations but because of the ack packets required by 802.11 protocols

Imagine web browsing as a simple example - you send http requests and get back web pages, normal two-way traffic. But even when you receive the pages you have to send acknowledgement packets back to the access point - if an ack is not received for a particular packet, it will be resent.
Due to global warming, eskimos now have more than 20 words for water John O'Farrell

Professional geek, consultant and trainer.
MCT, MCSA, MMI, MBMSS, CWNA, COS (I like to have lettuce after my name)
My personal blog - Getting IT right

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:16 PM

Thanks AdamV. Had missed the misunderstanding concerning cantenas.

They do work both ways. Actually amazingly well, IMO, for their simplicity.

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:20 PM

Yes all wireless signals for networking have to be sent and received. I wasn't speaking so much literally as they only do one or the other. But if you were trying to pick up a wireless signal would you want a tube or a parabolic type antennae?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

No doubt a parabolic is best. But believe that would also require a Bridge. Cost being a factor I felt this was the least expensive read cheap :thumbsup: and pretty much plug-n-play.

#15 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:09 PM

$10 dongle from Newegg + $6 6 foot USB extension cable + $3 strainer = $19 for MAD reception. Some assemble required, like poking a hole in the center of the strainer, push the dongle in the hole, plug dongle into USB cable, apply a little duct tape to hold the dongle, plug other end USB cable into PC and run the software that came with the dongle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users