Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 7 Script Error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TimCYCG

TimCYCG

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:36 PM

I tend to be very skeptical of Microsoft's ability to do anything right. Consequently, I never install anything by Microsoft on my primary machine until it has been out for 6 months to a year. I'll test things on other machines, but not on my primary machine. Can you blame me?

So, I just installed IE7, start it up and immediately I get a script error on the runonce page. Hahahahahahahaha!

Details:
Toshiba laptop
Windows XP Pro SP3 1.5Gb RAM.
Installed IE7 and all of the current updates.
Start IE7 which brings up the page:
http://runonce.msn.com/runonce3.aspx
Immediately I get a box: Internet Explorer Script Error
An error has occurred in the script on this page.
Line: 35
Char: 5
Error: 'window.external' is null or not an object
Code: 0
URL: http://runonce.msn.com/runonce3.aspx
Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?
Yes/No

I have clicked No, Tools menu, Internet Option, Advanced and
checked both of the boxes for "Disable script debugging" and cleared the check box for "Display a notification about every script error."
But doing that doesn't help. If I check the bubble on the Runonce page to "Keep my current default search provider" and click the big Save your settings button IE7 will not finish the process, and clear the Runonce page out. The next time I start IE I still get the runonce page. AAAAAuuuuugggggghhhhhh!
TimC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 22,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:27 AM

Some possible solutions here:

http://www.technologyquestions.com/technol...not-object.html
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 TimCYCG

TimCYCG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for the pointer! Nice work-around. I tried all of the security settings with no luck. Leave it to M$ to break stuff and not fix it.
TimC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users