Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe LocalSystemNetworkRestricted problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Mark Morgan

Mark Morgan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:34 AM

A bit of background...
A few days ago I downloaded a 3GB update for my Garmin SatNav maps. Upon running it it failed. I tried several times etc. That's not the problem I'm here with though.

Since then my Vista SP1 machine periodically goes 'mad', the hard disk and fan go wild and the whole machine slows up every hour or so.

Upon investigating with Task Manager, Resource Monitor and Process Explorer I noticed that an svchost.exe process keeps reading the 3GB Garmin file (Garmin_rmu_cneunt2010.exe). The process in question is "svchost.exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted".

This process is running the following services
Image Name: svchost.exe
PID: 4680
Services: AudioEndpointBuilder, EMDMgmt, Irmon, Netman, PcaSvc, SysMain, TabletInputService, TrkWks, UxSms, WdiSystemHost, Wlansvc, WPDBusEnum, wudfsvc

The two that stood out to me were SysMain which is Superfetch - please tell me Windows isn't trying to load this 3GB monster into memory because I've run it five times(?!?) - and WdiSystemHost which is "Diagnostice System Host" - maybe Vista is trying to gather information about the failed Garmin update for its "Problem Reports and Solutions" app.

Has anyone got any ideas what is going on? Are my guesses remotely correct?

Thanks,
Mark.

Machine: Acer AMD Turion X2 dual-core Laptop
O/S: Vista SP1
RAM: 4GB
HD: 320GB

Edited by Mark Morgan, 13 August 2009 - 08:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users