Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair Install Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JTboom

JTboom

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:24 AM

While attempting a repair install, I booted with my Windows XP CD and chose the option to Repair
from the instructions in the link.
After the files were copied, the system reboots into the Windows XP Installation
Screen. From there it tells me 'Setup will complete in 39 minutes'.
Although the information screen to the right does change ( Try the Easiest Windows Yet, Stay up to Date,
Your computer will be faster and more reliable), the countdown remains at 39 minutes and freezes.
I used a Windows XP Service Pack 2 Professional disk. My Computer has Service Pack Three.
I've read somewhere that if you have Service Pack 3 on your computer you cannot do a repair install with Service Pack 2.

I have an error code from the Setuperr.log:

Error:
Setup had problems registering the following OLE control DLL:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\initpki.dll

Contact your system administrator, who may provide assistance in diagnosing this problem.

Error:

The signature for Windows XP Professional Upgrade is invalid. The error code is 80096001.

A system-level error occurred while verifying trust.

Fatal Error:

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:56 AM

If you have XP Home installed...you cannot use XP Professional to do a repair.

If you have SP3 installed on the system, you cannot use a CD that only contains SP2...to do a repair.

Louis

#3 JTboom

JTboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:53 AM

I have XP Professional with Service Pack 3 installed.
I used an XP Professional Service Pack 2 disc for the repair install.

Does the error log help to troubleshoot what went wrong?
PLease help!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:12 AM

When you use an earlier version of XP...to attempt a repair install...the result is an overwrite of the formerly current O/S.

Which is why XP provides the warning message that it does when users attempt such.

At this point...all I can suggest is that you create a CD which reflects SP3...and try another repair or a clean install.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

I find that using the nLite website...is the easiest way to create a successfully slipstreamed XP install CD. It's not the only way, there are various websites that also provide instructions on how they would suggest doing it.

SP3 download at http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details...;displaylang=en

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users