Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing partially installed program

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ron2368

ron2368

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 07:42 AM

I had to reinstall my mouse so I went to microsoft website and downloaded the Intellipoint 5.2 driver .exe file. During the install it asks for IP5.msi files that are part of the driver file on my CD, but I do not have the CD.

So the install aborts but though it is listed in remove programs there is no way to uninstall it. But since it is listed I cant install any IP4 drivers which would work fine.

Is there a way I can manually get it off. thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 05:47 PM

Hi have you tried to get the missing file from the web site.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:15 AM

As far as i know, not many professional product websites fofer files that can be downloaded seperately.

There are 2 ways to remove invalid entries in add/remove programs.

You can use the registry, wich is very complicated because theres a folder and a subkey for each item there and its often confusing and you can invalidate your add/remove programs menu.

or...

you can go to ccleaner.com and download bleep cleaner. Its a wonderful little tool that cleans all the bleep out of the guts of your computer. It also has a built in tool that allows you to delete invalid add/remove program files by just using the same old interface, highlighting the file. And clicking delete registry entry. It also has a tool during the scan that scans for invalid registry entries from uninstalled programs. I highly reccomend this product.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:00 PM

Just a very strong warning.
Whenever you make ANY registry changes, ALWAYS MAKE SURE TO MAKE A BACKUP COPY FIRST. Mucking about in one's registry can do very serious damage to your whole system, so do so with the greatest care.

You can do a search for a folder that contains whatever part of the application you downloaded, and delete it. This may leave some gunk in your registry, but will be a much safer method.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users