Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive keeps restarting.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Toxicsl0th

Toxicsl0th

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:36 PM

Today I was on one of my computers and I then decided to put it into standby to go to another room. I come back a few minutes later I press the power button to turn it on and I hear the computer turning on but then the hard drive spins up and then suddenly stops and restarts. This continues in a endless loop. I turned off the computer from stand by and attempted to turn it on again and I see that the video card posts just fine and then continues to the motherboard post and that's where it ends. While this is all happening I hear the hard drive contantly restarting. I'm pretty sure that this hard drive just failed on me, but I would like someone else opinion since I normally am tech-sauvy but my cat just passed away yesterday I am not in a very normal state of mind.

Anyways, things I have done:
Reset CMOS
Reseated Ram
Reseated the power cables of the hard drive
Reseated the IDE cable of the hard drive
Put the hard drive on another power rail.

All to no avail.

System Specs:
Windows XP home SP3
3.0GHZ P4
ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
1.5GB of RAM
500W Power Supply
120GB IDE Western Digital Hard drive
DVD Writer Sony IDE
Geforce FX5500 256MB
VIA 6421 SATA PCI Card

Lastly, I would like to know if I would be able to somehow recover the data that was on this hard drive. Thanks.

Edited by Toxicsl0th, 09 August 2009 - 02:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,841 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:41 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer! Sorry to hear about your cat :thumbsup:

I would actually think it's your power supply failing. Does anything come up on your screen, or does the computer just loop without any messages? If so, unplug the hard drive, if the computer is fine, it should at least post, and take you to a black screen if the hard drive is disconnected.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Toxicsl0th

Toxicsl0th
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:51 PM

Oh no, I said that I do see that the Video card posts on the screen and then it is proceeded by the motherboard post screen. I just swapped drives and the computer is currently up and working. Frankly I believe its the drive. I replaced the power supply about two years ago so it shouldn't be prone to problems. Now, the computer is stable no restarting loops. See, the whole computer doesn't restart. I just stay at the motherboard post screen and I cannot proceed to windows with the old drive. The sound from the drive seems like it is constantly restarting over and over. It spins up for a few seconds then stops and starts again. Repeat that in a continous loop till it I turn it off. But thanks for your sympathy.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,841 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:44 AM

Well, I'm glad everythign worked out for you!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Toxicsl0th

Toxicsl0th
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:16 PM

Well, I'm glad everythign worked out for you!

What? That really doesn't help me much. I mean I replaced the hard drive and everything works. Great, but can I somehow recover the data from the old one which I asked in the first post? I mean you really didn't help me at all, expect misinterpret my entire post or just fail to read my first one and give me a false theory about my power supply.

#6 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:47 PM

Go to the manufacturers web site and download their diagnostic tool and run it find out if there is a problem with the hdd.

Edited by dc3, 14 August 2009 - 01:48 PM.

Please note:  A family emergency occurred on 08/18/2014.  Because of this my time here will be limited until our family member has recovered enough for me to get back to my normal daily routine.  I apologize to those of you who I had been helping, I will try to get back to you as quickly as I can.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:49 PM

Since you've replaced the boot drive...did you connect the old drive as a secondary...to see if it's detected in the BIOS...in Disk Management...in My Computer?

Have you tried a linux CD...to recover data files from it?

Have you trted any recovery programs?

Personally...I don't like it when persons spit in the face of those trying to help them...maybe the same thing will happen to you sometime, if you ever get in the mood to try to help anyone. Let us know how it feels then.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users