Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

security center service is not running

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 aaaaaa1

aaaaaa1

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:58 PM

i get this balloon from windows security alerts saying that security center service is not running. i have opened security center and everything is green.

also i went to services and i looked for wscsvc but when i click it, it says "the system cannot find the file specified"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:12 PM

Run services.msc and check if Security Center is Started and set to Automatic.

#3 aaaaaa1

aaaaaa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:15 AM

Run services.msc and check if Security Center is Started and set to Automatic.

the closest thing i found to security center is something called "SBSB Security Center" and it is started and set to automatic.

#4 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:48 PM

Do you use Norton?

EDIT: When you say you looked for wscsvc, did you mean you looked for wscsvc.dll?

Edited by DeathStalker, 09 August 2009 - 04:51 PM.

#5 aaaaaa1

aaaaaa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:32 PM

Do you use Norton?

EDIT: When you say you looked for wscsvc, did you mean you looked for wscsvc.dll?

no, i went to services.msc in run.

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:06 AM

Well wscsvc wouldn't be there. It's a dll. Services show the services that are started. I also don't know how I missed the other posts in this thread between you and Coolcatbad, I could have saved you a day, I'm sorry.

Are you sure you have SBSB Security Center and not SBSD security center? As far as I know SBSB Security center in services is an indicator of a malware infection designed to look like SBSD security center (which is a spybot search and destroy service).

You need to move this question to the "Am i infected" section of this site if you didn't have a typo and in fact have SBSB running. Click here for that section. Read the stickies and they'll tell you what to do. Again I'm sorry I didn't see the interaction between you and coolcat.

Edited by DeathStalker, 10 August 2009 - 08:07 AM.

#7 aaaaaa1

aaaaaa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:46 PM

my bad, its SBSD. so what now?

#8 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:27 AM

That is not making sense. SBSD security center is dependent upon security center and wouldn't start if security center is not present, (unless I'm mistaken). You are sure you don't have security center on your services list? I don't understand how you can have a balloon from security alerts if you don't have security center working. I'm attaching a snip just in case. i'm not doubting you are saying you don't know what you are doing, I just want to be sure in my own mind. I have to go finish up a job but I'll be back later tonight with some better answers. I'll proceed (unless I hear differently from you) that everything you posted is correct and get the links for you to re-install as it were your security center and get it working again. I just don't have them on the top of my head and have no time presently to search for them. I had a similar problem on a machine after I got rid of the malware it had so I know it can be done lol.

Sorry for the current lack of help, but please make sure that security center is not present on a screen that looks like the one below.

Attached File  services.JPG   105.71KB   37 downloads

#9 aaaaaa1

aaaaaa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:56 PM

ok, so idk if this info helps but this happened after i used combofix.

here see, there is no security center.

Attached File  image11.jpg   105.22KB   18 downloads

and here is the wscsvc i was talking about, it says failed to read description and when i click properties i get the system cannot find the file specified.

pic here.

Attached File  image12.jpg   92.84KB   16 downloads

and here is a pic of the icon i get.

Attached File  image13.jpg   23.58KB   16 downloads

and as you can see in this pic, everything is green

Attached File  image15.jpg   61.26KB   12 downloads

Edited by aaaaaa1, 11 August 2009 - 04:59 PM.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:33 PM

Have you uninstalled Combofix, yet?
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK

• Note: There's a space between Combofix and /
  • Posted Image

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:52 PM

In services, this is what you want to click on. Click "restart" and see if the warning shield goes away.
Posted Image

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2014
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#12 aaaaaa1

aaaaaa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:49 PM

Have you uninstalled Combofix, yet?

• Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK

• Note: There's a space between Combofix and /
  • Posted Image

but like i the first time i used combofix i remember i did later i did uninstall it just the way you said. but later months later, like this month i just used combofix again. and now well when i put uninstall it says windows cannont find combofix, make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

In services, this is what you want to click on. Click "restart" and see if the warning shield goes away.
Posted Image

yea i know, people are telling me that, but as you can see in my post before this one i put a picture of my services, and security center is not in the list.

#13 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

I'm not EVEN gonna ask what you were using combofix for and if you know how to use it ..........

wscsvc SERVICE (as opposed to the dll) I just found out is the Wireless Zero Configuration service. I'd say sorry about the confusion, but I just learned about it lol.

You never answered my question (that I saw anyways) about Norton or Symantec (same thing, or at least same company so the same f'ed up crap that doesn't work right with Vista)). Do you use either program?

Are you familiar with sfc /scannow? Try it. Go to Start> All programs> Accessories> RIGHT CLICK command prompt and select run as administrator. Type (or paste) sfc /scannow and hit enter. There WAS a microsoft KB on how to use SFC /scannow I have been trying to link, but it apparently has recently been taken down. ANyways, if you yhaven't tried it, do so and see if it fixes the problem. The scan takes a little while.

If that doesn't work and you have a Vista DVD try the repair option on the disc. Let me know what you turn up, I'll keep trying to run down a KB on sfc (system file checker) scannow and the one on the security center that also seems to have disappeared off the face of the MS earth.......

#14 aaaaaa1

aaaaaa1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

just to answer your curiosity, i was using combofix to get rid of some virus, cause some other forum told me to use it. and well i just ran it.
and i never saw your questions avout norton or symantec, but i don't use either. im using avg.

as for sfc /scannow, i did research before coming here, and i ran it like 2 times and it says it found some corrupt files but was unable to fix them.
then it tells me that details are included in cbs logs, i go there but i can't open the text file. it says access is denied.

and i don't think i have a vista DVD

#15 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:36 AM

So sorry about the long delay 6a1, been trying to finish up a job and on top of that decided to dumb a 20 ounce drink down my keyboard the other night. For some reason MY computer decided to get a bit petulant about that and I just got it to act (semi) right. Anyway, enough excuses, excuses be damned, onward and outward.............. :huh:

In the short time I've had available, I found THIS. It's a Microsoft fixit that resets your security center. I've had mixed results with the fixit's. I'd say about 65-75% of the times I've used or linked them for someone, they have done the job. Let me know if it helps. I still haven't found the manual fix from Microsoft that I used, but I really haven't had time to search much. If i had even half a brain, I'd make a folder and start bookmarking these damn things as I try them so I wouldn't have to repeat searches, but then that would be too easy wouldn't it.

I was going to suggest an alternative way to get to the CBS logs, but after I dumped on my computer I got the same access denied message and I haven't had time to run it down yet either. This is starting to get serious as my COD game is starting to act up. When I can't play it, I'll REALLY have to get serious and find out what's wrong lol.

NOTE:The above link gives tyou the option (and instructions) on how to fix this yourself or to just click the fixit button and do it automatically. You have to use IE to do it automatically.

EDIT: Forgot to provide the link lol. Man am I mindless right now.

Edited by DeathStalker, 15 August 2009 - 05:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users