Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloaded Program Files, Damaged

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 razzell2

razzell2

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:05 AM

Hi.
I have an HP Pavilion running Vista home premium.

When I am cleaning my computer out at the end of the day, I open up internet options and "veiw objects", which brings up my DOWNLOADED PROGRAM FILES folder.

In there are 3 or 4 active x files.

But 1 in particular has a status of DAMAGED.

Vista is different in that I cannot just delete this damaged file, like I could in XP, or in earlier windows versions.

All I can do is right click it, which brings up a "properties" link.

This damaged file is an active x file, and the "code base" reads like this:

http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp dot cab (i did not put the . in there because it creates a hyperlink.)

The link takes me to a gp[1] file that looks like it originates from my adobe reader installation, and inside this file are several Adobe GetPlus application files, a .dll and a .ocx active x file.

In fact, I believe this all began with an adobe reader automatic update, that installed adobe reader from 9.0, to 9.1.

I have removed, uninstalled adobe reader 9.1, and reinstalled it, and i have even installed a lower version of adobe reader (8.5, 9.0), and when I do this, the damaged file changes and is not longer damaged......until I restart my computer, or perhaps it when my browser uses an active x applilcation, I dont know.

How does one remove a damaged downloaded program file from Vista?

I have deleted that gp1 cab file, but I dont think that is even installed into my computer....(I really dont know this stuff, Im sorry)

What is GetPlus?
I read that its a "bloat" add on that is installed when you download the adobe reader update..(the 9.1, which I just did a couple of days ago, and thats when I noticed this corrupted file).

Ok, I dont want to ask too many questions.
Im hoping that someone will understand this issue and respond...give me some advice on it.

Thanks for reading, guys, and I appreciate your time and your help.

Razz

Edited by boopme, 09 August 2009 - 09:59 AM.
Moved from XP to Vista~~boopme

"GAT DANG-ED (BLEEPING) COMPUTER. ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users