Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to kick someone off my wireless network?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:12 PM

I've discovered someone is connecting to my wireless router via their iphone. How do I block them? I have a D-link DI-624.

Here's a screenshot. I don't know any Alma, don't have an iphone and would like her off my network asap.

Posted Image

After living in a house for the past few years I just moved into an apartment, so I've never had to think about wireless security before. Can someone give me some information on how to keep things safe? I have a static IP address and use McAfee, if that helps at all. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:41 PM

Set your router to be password protected. you are going to have out your owners manual to figure it out, but it usually is a matter of ticking a check-box and picking a password. After that, then you need to use the password on your wireless connection to connect. It usually goes without a hitch.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 1,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:00 PM

Turn on some security. WEP, WPA, WPA2 or MAC address filtering. That will stop them.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 08:34 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. If I do enable a password hopefully that won't affect Xbox Live? Because that's the only thing I use wireless for.

EDIT: Downloaded the manual. I'm not sure exactly which setting I want to mess with though. If I enable WPA it then gives me the option to enter a passphrase. Is this what I want to do? 90% of this manual might as well be in Chinese because I don't understand most of it.

Edited by Doug E Fresh, 07 August 2009 - 09:17 PM.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 1,740 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:16 AM

Between WEP and WPA - WPA is more secure. You'll need to configure the Xbox to the WPA. The password he is talking about is the password to get into the router. If you leave it as default, all someone needs is your IP address and they can get into your router.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 08 August 2009 - 12:18 AM.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Mr LunchBox

Mr LunchBox

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:25 AM

Further explanation

WHen you have a router that has the wireless capabilities (now all of them pretty much do) you have 1 password which is used to get into the routers management utility. The second password is the one you set up to secure your wireless network. It is very important that you change the password to manage your router if you dont change the password anyone can get into it since all pretty much use the same default passwords.

I would recommend that you call the router manufacture they can help you pretty quick, much quicker than using the forum. If they wont help you because the router is out of warranty (they should still help though) then you can use the forum

It is pretty simple. In just about all routers there is an area called wireless and perhaps a sub-category called advanced wireless. One of these will talk about security and where ever that is there is a drop down menu. CLick on it to change the router wireless security to WPA.

To change the router default password look for a category called management it is usually there.

#7 Mr LunchBox

Mr LunchBox

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:28 AM

I guess I should open my router . . . . then I can have some fun if you know what I mean. No No, I dont know how to hack them but I do know how to make any site they want to look at by a site of my choosing :thumbsup:

#8 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:39 AM

OK, so I changed my admin password, and I added a password for WPA. When I went to the Xbox it did not connect until I went into settings and added the new password.

So, I guess I'm fairly secure now? Is there anything else I should consider doing, or will this keep people out for the most part?

Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 1,740 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:25 PM

I'd check over the next couple days just to make sure they aren't able to connect anymore and then...enjoy yourself =)

#10 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:47 PM

OK, I'll do that. Thanks for the help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users