Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway wont boot from disk?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 5w0rd

5w0rd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:54 PM

I am running a Gateway Solo 5300 and I decided a little while (about a week) ago to switch to Ubuntu. BIG MISTAKE :thumbsup: . Anyway, I was able to install it through a boot disk and the install went just fine. Now its freezing and whatnot, so I decided it was a good idea to switch back. Anyway, I have a WinXP professional edition disk and I put it in the Atapi CD-ROM drive restart ect ect ect. I made sure that the boot order menu is running the optical drive first, hard drive last in the boot order and I let it run and I can hear the optical drive turn on and run but it doesn't boot from the CD, it goes right to GRUB and boots from the hard drive. What do I need to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:37 PM

Remove Grub?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=h...rub&aqi=g10

Louis

#3 5w0rd

5w0rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:28 PM

Well, first off, thank you for your interest. Secondly, it seems like the best way to do it with a WinXP disk requires a "press r for recovery console" prompt. I am not getting that prompt. As another note, I didn't partition my hard drive to do this. I ran Wubi on it first to try it out (which worked fine) I tried it for about a week and decided to reformat over top of Win XP.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:25 PM

Do you get "Press any key to boot from CD....." prompt?

If you can boot from Ubuntu CD but not from XP CD, then your CD may be faulty. Try cleaning your CD and booting again from it.

#5 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:20 AM

When I was undoing a dual boot (Vista/Ubuntu), even though the laptop was set to boot from cd first I found that I had to re-select this option via F12 (Dell) at bootup and then go the the 'press any key...' option as stated above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users