Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freeze but mouse works

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 saiyun

saiyun

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:54 PM

Problem:
My computer would occasionally freeze but my mouse would still work. Mouse would still move and click but the application and computer will have no response to it. Ctrl+Alt+Del, Alt+F4, Ctrl+Shift+ESC will have no effect when it freeze. There is no specific application that freeze my computer. It will freeze when I'm using Firefox, IE, or just watching a movie. The time are random as I have gone 4 hours straight without freezing when downloading files. It does seem like it has a higher chance to freeze up when I use more memory intensive application.

When it started:
Started this Tuesday July 14, I was in the process of updating Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and I opened a window that cause several pop ups. I closed all the windows and then after a few seconds the computer freeze. At the time, Malwarebytes was just about to install the updated client and was in the middle of it but it freeze along with my computer. After I hard boot the computer back on, I started to use Firefox to contine to browse the internet but after a few minutes it will freeze again.

What I have tried:

I have reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware after the fail update and ran a scan to clean my computer. I have also use SuperAntiSpyware to clean my computer. I've use the Eset Online Scanner and Symantec online scanner to check for virus.

Then I uninstall Firefox and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and still I have the problem. I went to Windows Update to get all the essential updates, upgrade IE from 6.0 to 8.0, and defrag my hard drive using Diskkeeper. I scan my HD with HDTune, repair registry with Advanced System Care, and finally use System Restore to go back to July 10th.

Then to check for hardware problems, I used Dell's Diagnostic Tool at boot up to test my hardware component and they all passed.

I am out of ideas, I'm not sure if this is Windows error, malware/virus, or other. I posted this on Malware forum and they direct me here. Hopefully someone could help me fix this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:15 PM

When something within XP doesn't proceed according to Hoyle (old expression), the first thing I think of is to run chkdsk /r on boot partition.

As for system freezes...many things cause such...but overheating is the most obvious/harmful candidate. Check your CPU temp, fan functionality, and state of cleanliness in the case.

...I suggest that you stop using those registry cleaners, they may be at the root of your situation.

It might be a good idea to run sfc /scannow, IMO. Those "cleaners" may have removed files which may be neede.

Should I Use A Registry Cleaner - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

XP Fixes Myth #1 Registry Cleaners - http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/61015...y-cleaners.html

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Louis

#3 saiyun

saiyun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:15 PM

To add, I use a Dell Dimension E521 on a Windows XP SP3.

as for the above suggestion, I only use registry cleaner when the other methods wasn't working. I know registry cleaners isn't reliable but I was kind of despearte.

I did scan for bad sector on my hard drive on reboot with nothing found. I also run sfc /scannow but nothing I need to replace.

I just went into Safe Mode with networking and browse the internet for a while and the computer freeze after a couple of minutes

Edited by saiyun, 16 July 2009 - 06:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users