Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FATrayMon

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vin.lwh

vin.lwh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:35 AM

Hi guys, this is my first time in this cool site. Found it through google.
I have a question...
What is FATrayMon? What does it do?
I came across it in my TuneUp StartUp Manager. I don't know whether I should disable FATrayMon to improve the speed of my computer.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:09 PM

Near as I can tell, it's a component of Sensible Fast access. Are you running that program?

#3 vin.lwh

vin.lwh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:53 PM

Yes, but should I disable it?
Mind if I ask another question?
What is FAStartup? Found it in the TuneUp StartUp Manager also.

#4 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:56 AM

I'm not really sure how to answer your question about disabling it or not. Fastaccess also looks to be a component of Sensible Vision. It's a program i am not familiar with. i know what it does, but i don't know enough about it to know if it does it WELL lol if you know what I mean. To me, an old fart, it falls into the category of programs that look cool, may be cool, but I don't want on my computer at this point without more knowledge of what it does and how it does it. Logging in is not a big deal to me. I don't have state secrets so if someone hacks my login somewhere, it's no big deal to me. I'm not sure how well a face recognition program on a home computer would work. How many computer resources is it hogging? I couldn't see with a quick perusal of their site.

If you bought the program then you obviously want it (or wanted it) but if it came pre-installed on your computer, you may not care if it's there or not. I really don't have time to research it right now even though it intrigues me and I want to lol. Quick advise (which means I could be so wrong it's not funny) is that if you are having problems with computer speed and are malware free, then this is what is slowing you down, well unless you have Norton or Symantec AV. If you have Norton, THAT would be the first thing I would get rid of to speed things up. I can't see how a program that does all this is supposed to do can be anything but a resource hog. Since it can detect when you are away from your computer and shut down programs, it HAS to be continuously scanning and comparing. I would be interested in seeing what other processes it takes to run. I hope i have helped you out rather than confused you more .

Just out of curiosity, did it come pre-installed or did you buy it/ if you did buy it, then why? I ask why just seeking information, not in an accusatory, or judgmental way, I really am curious about this thing. Like I said, it looks really cool if it works and works without hogging resources. I'm curious about what would motivate someone to get this. LOL I won't be "offended" if you tell me it's none of my damned business. Perpetually curious, (and as a part time reporter) I get that response often.

Edited by DeathStalker, 18 July 2009 - 11:57 AM.

#5 vin.lwh

vin.lwh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for your time. I'm grateful. :huh:
The softwares come pre-installed, that's why I don't even know what is it used for.
Anyway, thanks again. :huh:

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:29 PM

The softwares come pre-installed,

What is the make and model of your computer?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:41 AM

Thanks for your time. I'm grateful. :huh:
The softwares come pre-installed, that's why I don't even know what is it used for.
Anyway, thanks again. :huh:

Well if you didn't read my link about sensiblevison I'll give you a brief overview. SensibleVison has a program called Fastaccess that has face recognition and is apparently installed on your computer. It "memorizes" your face and grants you access to your computer. As long as it is your face in "sees" it will grant you immediate access to your encrypted files or other secure files. It will fill in your log on and passwords for sites you visit and so on. If I am reading the info on their website correctly, once installed it does all this without any user input.

Garmanma: I'm betting a Dell. They have a special link on their site for Dell.

#8 vin.lwh

vin.lwh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:45 AM

Hey, spot on, DeathStalker! :huh:
I'm using Dell Studio 1555.
I guess the software is not really necessary, because I think password would be sufficient enough.
Thanks for clearing my doubts. :huh:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users