Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do i update malwarebytes without an internet connection?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fiend27

Fiend27

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:30 AM

Hi,

One of my Pc's (Dads) has got a serious malware infection. ive used malwarebytes and quarentined several problems. they appear to keep on popping up again though. should i delete them from quarentine? (smss.exe, multiple svchost, win 32 problems etc)

also i obvously need to update malwarebytes but the internet connection, while connected is unresponsive.
is there a way to save the update to a memory stick?

ive dealt with many viruses etc in my time, but without an internet connection im stuck.

the internet connection, as it is a broadband connection requiring log in details wont connect in safe mode, unless im missing something.

Help would be sincearly appreciated! in the past i have been able to use other posts for my solutions, but this one has got me by the... well you know what.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fiend27

Fiend27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:37 AM

ok, some new info, the malware has diabled my firewall.

also exactly the same versions of exactly the same problems keep re-appearing on the pc upon re-starting.

any help would be appreciated.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:20 PM

is there a way to save the update to a memory stick?

Since you cannot use the Internet, manually download the definition updates from another computer, save them to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD and transfer to the infected machine. Then just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install the update. If you cannot transfer or install from the infected machine, try installing the file directly from the flash drive to your machine.Mbam-rules.exe is not updated daily. Another way to get the most current database definitions is to install MBAM on a clean computer, launch the program, update through MBAM's interface, copy the definitions (rules.ref) to a USB stick or CD and transfer that file to the infected machine. Copy rules.ref to the location indicated for your operating system.
  • XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Vista: C:\Documents and Settings\Users\All Users\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
If you cannot see the folder, then you may have to Reconfigure Windows to show it. Then perform a new Quick Scan in normal mode and make sure you reboot afterwards. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Fiend27

Fiend27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:34 AM

Thank you so much! that is exactly what i needed to know, and it worked!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users