Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcafee security center won't open! [Moved]

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blazerix

blazerix

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:45 PM

I don't know why but my mcafee security center won't open it the starting screen thing pops up for like 2 seconds and then closes and then nothing happens. Mcafee personal firewall and virus scan seem to be running in the background but i want to disable them because i want to run combofix. Can anyone tell me how i can get security center to open?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Printmatt

Printmatt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:38 AM

Just a quick question, what version of McAfee are you using?

Have you tried accessing McAfee Security Center through the program files? Start>all program>McAfee>Security center

There could be a number of reasons why the McAfee Security Center does not open:
1. Conflicting program
2. You are infected
3. Bad installation of McAfee

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:44 AM

Posted Image
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 blazerix

blazerix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for replying but i don't know what the problem is. It can't be bad installation because i re-installed it already and it doesn't open when i go to all programs..etc. Even if im infected i can't use combofix because i'll need to be able to turn virus scan off but i can't even open security center. Can someone please tell me what to do?

#5 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:45 AM

If you are seeking to run ComboFix, that suggests you beleive the computer is infected ?

It is possible that an infection on the computer has actually disabled the running OF Macaffee.

From where did you dowload the Macaffee?

What other much safer scans than ComboFix have you tried to run,such as Malwarebytes or Superantispyware ??

A much safer route is to run either of Malwarebytes or Superantispyware , then someone can check their reports and advise you on the next step to clean the computer :thumbsup:

Would you like to try that instead?

Edited by snowdrop, 04 July 2009 - 06:11 AM.

#6 blazerix

blazerix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 11:59 AM

I did MBAM,Super anti-spyware AND Avira. But mcafee security center still won't open.

#7 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:03 PM

Do you have both Avira and Macaffee antivirus programs installed?

Can you give us the report from the Malwarebytes program for someone to check for you ?

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,462 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:51 PM

Hello,

I am moving this topic from the AntiVirus forum to the Am I Infected forum. There are infections that prevent security programs from opening, updating, or running. These generally cannot be resolved outside the HiJack This forum. Given that, I'd suggest the following.

Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results, click no to the Optional_Scan
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. If you cannot disable it, which you cannot in your case, tell the AV to allow the program to run. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. You can find information on A/V control HERE

Now start a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<==
  • Follow the instructions that pop upped up for posting the results when the DDS scan completed.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Be sure to include a good description of your issues in the body of the post.

If you cannot produce the DDS logs, then post back here and we will provide you with further instructions.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users