Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Sleep

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:38 PM

Does anyone konw how to disable the sleep mode on windows 7? I have run scans, (Avira, Windows Defender, Super Antispyware) and the computer keeps going to sleep on me right in the middle of the scan. Normallly when i do my weekly scan i do housework (clean house and computer! LOL), i dont have time to sit and make sure the computer doesnt go to sleep so the scan will finish.

Also, are screen savers needed anymore today? I have tried to run a screen saver, and the system wont go to sleep. The screen saver just keeps on running.

My computer is acting like child, it wont go to sleep when i want it to, it goes to sleep when IT wants to! LOL

Edited by Derek Ellis, 02 July 2009 - 06:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jim P

Jim P

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

Derek,

Did you try the power options in the system & security in the control panel? The never option for when to sleep is there.

I only use a screensaver with CRT monitors. One exception my wife likes the Ubuntu flying toasters on her computer.

Edited by Jim P, 02 July 2009 - 09:09 PM.

#3 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:03 PM

Werent the flying toasters a thing of back in Pre-Windows 95 era?

#4 Jim P

Jim P

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:17 AM

Werent the flying toasters a thing of back in Pre-Windows 95 era?

That was before my time with computers. 98SE was my first experience with a computer.

#5 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:23 AM

OK now getting back to my orginal question.

I basically want the computer to sleep and then hibernate when I am not using the computer.

I DO NOT want it to sleep or hibernate when running scans and such. I dont want to have to move the mouse eveyr 5 minutes to keep the app running. I also dont want to do a backup that takes an hour and to wake up in the morning only to find that it was not completed.

I know that i can mess with the settings of it, but having to do that ever time is a hassle

Windows Xp has no problems with this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users