Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loaded Avast--Now there's a blank screen and nothing works. [Moved]

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Catie

Catie

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:34 AM

Hi, Posted this in the Vista forum and was advised this was the proper place to post this message.

Let me start out by saying, I'm no techie, but I do try to fix things myself first due to financial restraints as a single mom/nursing student. I really could kick myself for not posting when all this started, but that's not going to help me now. The damage is already done.

My computer is a Toshiba P105, 32-bit, with Vista Home premium.

I have automatic backup through Mozy.com

Here's the story as best as I can remember and as brief as possible: A few weeks back I somehow got a Google hijack virus. I used Malware Bytes and found two Vundo viruses and cleaned them, but the problem persisted. I then used Spybot Search and Destroy, as I keep both anti-virus programs on my machine. SB found some additional viruses--Vundo and some kind of Trojan. I cleaned them off, but again, the problem persisted. I went on a search for Google hijacked, and found this site. I tried searching for a solution. The rest of the story remains sketchy, as I can't remember the exact sequence of events. But I think it went like this--I linked to a program called Combofix and ran it. First it made a restore point. then it found a bunch of what it called "rootkits", a bunch in files titled SKYNET, and some other stuff. I did hand write them out, as Combofix requested me to do so, incase they were needed later. It supposedly removed them, and the problem seemed better for like half a day, then it was back. Very frustrated, I ran MB & SB again but came up with nothing. By now I'd read that Combofix could cause big problems (I used it without fully reading the post having the link, out of desperation. thank goodness it hadn't caused me issues--as far as I know). So, I was afraid to use it again. I went back to searching. I came across a suggestion to use Avast home edition, at CNet. I ran it and it found the same rootkits that Combofix found. Although it kept popping up notices of the same rootkits and Trojans and didn't seem like it was actually getting rid of them. I ended up disabling the popup defender because it was interrupting my work. I just tried to ignore the Google hijacker by cutting and pasting addresses of what I needed, for the last week or so. Well, fast forward to three days ago... My frustraition got the best of me. I ran SB and MB, again, nothing. Went looking for Avast in search, since the icon disappeared off my screen, and couldn't find it. I figured I must have deleted the whole program when I thought I'd just shut down the defender. So, went on Cnet again and mistakenly loaded Avira. Avira wasn't any help and I'd realized I'd gotten the wrong one, so went bact to Cnet and found Avast, downloaded it, ran it, and poof, I now have nothing coming up on my screen, except a white mouse pointer. I've tried system startup repair and stystem repair, both stating action was successful but still gettting the blank screen with the white mouse arrow. I tried opening in safe mode, every version, and all that happens is some list of drivers appears and the screen goes blank again. I tried going back to the last good configuration--still blank, I tried to restore to the restore point Combofix or Avast made on 6/14, as those are the only ones showing, still blank. I obviously can't post a Hijack this log. I thought about just reloading the system with my systems disks, but my cd drive isn't working. Can I put the disks in the d-drive of my desktop and connect that drive to my laptop with a usb cable connection? Is that even what I would need to do, reloading the systems disks, to fix this issue? I don't know. I know I'm totally effed if I have to take it someplace, as I literally am scraping by financially. Can someone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,394 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:37 PM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:43 PM

It sounds like the MBR got hosed. You would need a CD/DVD drive to fix that also

Can I put the disks in the d-drive of my desktop and connect that drive to my laptop with a usb cable connection? Is that even what I would need to do, reloading the systems disks, to fix this issue?

No, you would have to get an external drive enclosure and then this would only work if your BIOS has the option to list the USB as the first boot device

What would I do I your case?
I would replace the drive, you can get a DVD burner for $65 plus shipping
Certainly cheaper than sending it out
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827129035
An enclosure to fit the drive from your desktop computer is around $20-$40. Just be sure to get one with a power supply and the proper connection interface
Example http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817186206
It's easy to change out
Our members in the Hardware forum will be more the happy to help you make a selection and in installing it

Edited by garmanma, 27 June 2009 - 08:52 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Catie

Catie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:40 AM

Thanks, Mark, for getting back so quickly. I'm going to head to Micro Center to pick up a dvd drive and some antistatic wrist straps, as I don't want to wait for delivery. I found a great Toshiba Laptop disassembly site with step by step instructions for nearly every Toshiba Laptop: http://www.irisvista.com. I'm a little nervous, but I can't mess it up anymore than I've already done so.

As soon as I get the thing in, hopefully tonight, I'll get back to you for more help on this. Do I still need to get the enclosure for the external drive since I'm replacing my dvd drive on the laptop? Also, what's a MBR (so sorry, I'm really that clueless)?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:43 PM

MBR - Master Boot Record
If you reinstall the OS, this will be repaired along with cleaning up all of the infections

Since you are replacing the drive, You do not need any thing else
Installation is pretty straight forward. There's usually one screw, possibly two that you remove and the drive just pops out
You really don't have to use the wrist straps
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 Catie

Catie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:50 PM

I got a new cd/dvd drive installed, and it seems to be working. The door opens, whereas, the other one's door did not. Though, I haven't put any disks into it since there is a blank screen.

OK, what is the next step I need to do in order to fix my problem?

Thanks,
Catie

#7 Catie

Catie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:23 AM

OK, I have the dvd drive installed. When I turn on laptop, tapping on F8, I get an option, repair computer, and open that. Next is a menu: System Restore, Total file recovery, Toshiba Recovery Wizard. I choose Toshiba Recovery Wizard--Window pops up instructing to place disk #1 in drive and press next. I place disk #1 in drive, press next, window prompt disapears, disk spinning, and spinning, and spinning... Window prompt pops up instruction to place disk #1 in drive, again. I open door of drive and see disk is still spinning a bit. I wait a sec till it stops and insert again. Same thing happens over and over. Help! :thumbsup:

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

Look closely at the disk to make sure it isn't scratched
Try cleaning it with soap and water real good
Mark
Posted Image

#9 Catie

Catie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:04 PM

No, they're pristine. I just took the shrink wrap off them, as I've never used them before. I washed them anyway and dried with a soft cloth. No scratches or fingerprints. The same thing is happening as before washing. Ugggh! What now? :thumbsup:

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:20 PM

The Toshiba Recovery Wizard option is not part of the Windows Recovery Environment. Select it only if you wish to restore the computer's original factory software 'image' -- including Windows and applications. This procedure first erases all existing programs, documents, and other data on the hard disk drive.

I believe that you are overanxious and not waiting long enough
I know that I have done that in the past

Edited by garmanma, 30 June 2009 - 04:20 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#11 Catie

Catie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:26 PM

I really appreciate your help, but I'm not understanding how I'm not waiting. I put the disk #1 in when the prompt asks for me to insert it and press the 'next' button. The disk spins and spins for at least four or five minutes before the prompt shows up again, asking for me to insert disk #1 and press the 'next' button, but the disk is already in the drive, spinning around. Should I just keep pressing the 'next' button every time the prompt pops up?

#12 Catie

Catie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:37 PM

I haven't heard back from you. Hope I haven't offended you. I apologize if I'm being a pest, but I'm pretty frustrated. Nothing is working here. The recovery disks just spin and spin, and the prompt keeps asking for disk #1 insertion., no matter how many times I click on the next button. Is there just no answer?

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:58 PM

I'm sorry I didn't see your last post
It might not be relevant in this case, but did you set the CD drive as first boot device in the BIOS?
Do you possibly have another bootable CD around that you can try to verify that the CD drive is reading the CD?

I believe you might want to start a new topic in the hardware section
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users