Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My "Model M" IBM keyboard stopped working! HELP!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Number_6

Number_6

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:38 PM

On my Dell Dimension 4300 XP SP2:

my trusty IBM model M keyboard suddenly stopped working. It does not put anything into my computer, and produces a continuous tone from the computer.

This keyboard had been working on this machine and suddenly stopped. I don't recall making any changes around the time the problem started. The problem is not the keyboard, because it works well on a different computer. I checked the keyboard driver, and it lists the keyboard as a "Dell Enhanced Quiet Key PS2" keyboard, and indicates no problems with the driver or the hardware.

Anyone know what this is all about, or have any ideas about how to fix it?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 817 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:19 PM

Your keyboard works okay on the other machine...

And does the keyboard from the other machine work on your computer?
Jose

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:32 PM

Make sure there are no loose or bent pins in the plug adapter

Best keyboard ever made

Edited by garmanma, 23 June 2009 - 06:17 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 817 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:06 PM

I like 'em too, just don't disassemble for maintenance (unless you have a handy spare).
Jose

#5 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:20 PM

The keyboard from the other machine works fine on my XP machine. And the pins on the Model M look fine; I doubt that the keyboard would work on the other machine, if they were damaged.

this is all very puzzling and frustrating to me, because the keyboard HAD been working. I now recall what happened: everything was fine, and I re-booted for some reason, and when the re-boot was in progress, the speaker started giving me a continuous tone that I recognized as the tone I'd gotten in the past from a jammed key. So I unplugged, checked out the keyboard, etc., and it seemed fine.

I bought a second Model M keyboard, and both work on the other machine (a generic running Win98) , and neither one works on my XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users