Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Freezing

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:03 PM

Own a Lenovo Thinkpad T61, Running Windows Vista Business 32-bit with 4 GB RAM

Recently my computer keeps freezing in the middle of anything I do, and it freezes hard, I lose all controls of the computer, cant force quit out of anything and cant do anything except force a shut down and reboot.

It happens whether im on the net or working in excel or photoshop it doesnt matter what im doing but it keeps happening consistently

I recently purchased a 1 TB Seagate external HD to back up my system/files extra storage etc.
I did not have the issue until after I got this drive, and im not sure if this in fact is what is causing the problem, or if its just a coincidence. Im working on my local C: Drive when it happens, so its not happening while I access the External drive.

The drive has some software that I am using as Seagate Backup Manager which automatically backs up files and folders for me, im not sure if this seagate backup software could cause some issues, and whether or not I can just take the software off and set vista up to automatically back up my files to the drive as opposed to a 3rd Party software...

Any thoughts??? I run a virus scan regularly as well as adaware scans daily/every other day

Dont think I need to go the HJT this route so i figured i would get some feedback here

thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:01 PM

Hi, to trouble shoot this issue first remove the external H/D and reboot. Now run your normal programs and see if the issue is resolved. If so there is a conflict with the software you are using on the drive.
MCP
MSDST

#3 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:23 AM

That part makes sense where I would rule out the external drive, but wouldnt I have to uninstall the software and not just detach the drive from the machine?

Also, does anyone have any feedback on how they back up their files automatically to an external drive?

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:27 PM

Hi, no just detach it at this stage. Are you trying to back up important files ect. or just about everything? I ony back up my docs. email, music and files. I just copy them across to the external. You can use Vista backup and restore feature. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-v...res/backup.aspx
MCP
MSDST

#5 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:28 PM

Im trying just to back up the same type of stuff as you, word files, music, digital photos and stuff that I dont want to lose in case of a total machine crash.

A lot of things i save and overwrite everyday, so if i can back it up automatically even better

I detached the drive, left the software alone... I will run as normal for a couple of days and see what happens

Assuming that everything runs fine with the hard drive detached, what would be the next step, only attach it when i have to use it?

#6 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:37 AM

UPDATE: Detached External Hard Drive, even did a safely remove from explorer so it doesnt look for it, and it did a hard crash again after an hour of using it.... did a force restart, and it happened again a few minutes later

Any ideas for the next step?

#7 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:05 PM

Hi, in the search box (click on the Vista orb) type in reliability and open the program. See if there are any issues. I would uninstall the software that came with the drive.
MCP
MSDST

#8 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:46 PM

Before I uninstall the software, i opened the reliability and performance monitor

I am no expert at this so what exactly would i be looking for that would stand out

I see:

CPU = 63% with 100% Maximum Frequency

Disk = 1 MB/sec with 4% Highest Active Time

Network - dont know right now

Memory = 8 Hard Faults/sec with 45% Used Physical memory (for some reason this stands out to me)

Any thoughts or does this info help anyone?

#9 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:20 AM

UPDATE: The freezing seems to have stopped when I uninstalled the software that came with the drive

However 2 things:

Checkdisk run every single time I start up, this never used to happen and pretty sure checkdisk should not run all the time.

When it runs, it finds no errors at all

I also have been trying to use Vista's Data backup feature, but its keeps saying the disk needs to be repaired, and this seems to relate to the whole checkdisk at startup

Anyone have any idea? Any other info I should be providing?

#10 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:34 PM

Hi,
Open a command prompt and select by right click on the command prompt "run as administrator"
fsutil dirty query c:
now type in:
chkntfs /x c:
Now close the command prompt and reboot windows
Check disk should not run but if it does open a command prompt again select "run as administrator" and type:
chkdsk /f /r c:
With this command select Y and reboot, check disk will run again then properly reset
MCP
MSDST

#11 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:15 AM

OK maybe im dumb but can you put that into less technical terms?

how do i get to a new command prompt?

#12 604action

604action

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:55 AM

Why don't you just copy and paste all the docs, music, etc from your internal drive to your external drive then reinstall windows again just on the internal drive. Don't install anything else on the internal drive. Leave that all windows. All your other programs after that just install it on the external drive.Posted Image
“The Web is like a dominatrix. Everywhere I turn, I see little buttons ordering me to Submit.”
(Nytwind)

#13 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:03 AM

I wouldnt want to do that because I bring my laptop places when I go out and about, I wouldnt want to lug around the external hard drive along with it

The purpose of my external drive is to back up data. Its not usb powered either so it would have to be plugged in places as well, and I dont want to damage the the drive by moving it around all the time

I personally hate Vista, am I only saying this because I dont know how to get the most out of it?

#14 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:54 PM

OK maybe im dumb but can you put that into less technical terms?

how do i get to a new command prompt?

Sorry, down at the bottom left in the vista ORB, click on it then you can see the "start search" box, type in there cmd and you will then see the command prompt.exe, right click on it and select "run as administrator"
Now type in this:
fsutil dirty query c:

now type in:

chkntfs /x c:

Now close the command prompt and reboot windows
Check disk should not run but if it does open a command prompt again select "run as administrator" and type:
chkdsk /f /r c:
With this command select Y and reboot, check disk will run again then properly reset
MCP
MSDST

#15 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:24 PM

How do people know all this stuff????

I guess I dont know as much as I thought about computers

So I think that seemed to work as far as the check disk goes

Now, I have been trying to get Vista to do a Back up of my files and my hard drive in case of a hardware failure, so I would be able to do a complete recovery if need be

When I try to go into the backup and restore area of Vista, and go through the steps, and right after I choose a back up location, which is my Seagate External 1 TB HD I got the error that "The disk C: has errors.

Windows has detected file system corruption on C: You must check the disk for errors before it can be restored

Then it lets me check disk for errors, but it finds no errors and this feature can still not be used

did i make any sense?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users