Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Failed to Expand Shell Folder Constant "userappdata"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cathay

cathay

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:32 PM

Hi,

It was suggested by Net_Surfer I come to this forum for help before my computer's malware problem can be solved...please help!

I am trying to install apps such as MBAM (malware bytes) and my system would not allow me to do so due to "Internal Error: Failed to Expand Shell Folder Constant "userappdata". I went to the folder location and unhid this folder and went as far as changing the "useappdata" folder property and un-clicked the "Read-Only" box (which is not a checked box but rather a blue filled-in box) and it went through the motions of going through all the files within the folder to change the "read-only" attribute. Unfortunately when it was done, the folder is still "Read-Only".

I am the Administrator of the machine under User Account attributes and I have full permission (in the security tab of the folder) to this "userappdata" folder but I cannot make the folder not "Read-only" as the system would not allow me to make this change. I am not sure why this is as I've never had this problem until I left the machine idle for about a month and when I started using it again, this problem popped up.

Also, the registry is Hkey_Current_User_...\User Shell Folder\

Name - Appdata
Type - REG_EXPAND_SZ
Data - %APPDATA%

But there is a strange entry in this folder

Name - 374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B
Type - REG_EXPAND_SZ
Data - %USERPROFILE%\downloads

Not sure if this has anything to do with the problems. Thanks for your help in advance.

Cathay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zenchronus

zenchronus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:13 AM

Found a solution by comparing the registry on a computer I'm fixing to my own Vista machine.

I think the spyware responsible for this makes a simple change to keep you from installing anything new... go to the UserShellFolders folder in your registry, the one where you were told to delete the Recent folder. Look at the APPDATA folder and notice that it has the path $APPDATA$. On my good comp, the path was %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming

I changed the path on the bad comp to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming and rebooted into safe mode. I was able to install MBAM without a hitch and am currently running a scan the machine.

Hope this helps... good luck!

-zenchronus

#3 cathay

cathay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:44 AM

Hi zenchronus...

That worked beautifully...thanks a million! Now I can get on with fixing the malware problem.

Cathay

#4 veedubdubh

veedubdubh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:07 PM

Hi there,

It seems that i have the same or a very similar problem.

I am not however a very experienced windows user and would appreciate a little more detail in what i have to do to solve this.

Specifically should I back up the entire registry before changing the value, or/and create a System Restore Point?

Did your scan using malware find any infection(s)?

I appreciate any help that you can provide,

Many thanks.

#5 ericapostol_16

ericapostol_16

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:55 AM

pls can u give a detail how to this? i got the same problem but i do'nt know how to edit or where to start........pls someone help me....

#6 indigit4l

indigit4l

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:35 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549

Solved this myself googling an error message from Super Anti-Spyware. Hope this helps. Keep scrolling to check all the registry settings manually, the fixit thing doesn't work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users