Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external HD not recognized anymore?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 hothett

hothett

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:16 PM

at first I thought it was my external case. so I bought a set of cable adapters and power cord. it worked the first time, but after that the computer just did not recognize it any more.

any suggestions on where to start? I really need to get to my external HDs to do some file moving.

please... and thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hothett

hothett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:54 AM

I am running windows XP and it seems something is blocking connection. anyone have any ideas where to start?

#3 hothett

hothett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:00 PM

once in a great while I can get it to read some of the info but can get nothing off the drives nor can I open the files.

any help on where to start? anyone?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:29 PM

Start by running diagnostic on the drive, if possible. These are normally available at the website of the actual hard drive manufacturer.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

In the event that multiple utilities are presented...choose the one corresponding to the hard drive series you own/have.

If a "long test" and a "short test" are offered...run the long test.

Louis

#5 hothett

hothett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:28 PM

do you mean run a diagnostic on my PC?
In that case I will have to look inside my computer to see what make of HD it is.
Could this also find out why my cd/dvd drive will no longer read or write RW disks?

#6 hothett

hothett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:44 PM

shameless bump

#7 hothett

hothett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:20 AM

could I at least get some worthless advice if non at all.

or perhaps I am too stupid for you guys....

#8 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:30 AM

'ello. . . my apologies on behalf of BC for your thread being lost in the topic jungle.

Right-Click on the My Computer icon, and select Manage. This will open the Microsoft Management Console. On the left, click Disk Management under the Storage heading. This will give you a list and representation of all disks and partitions on your computer, recognized or not.

Is the drive in question listed?

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#9 hothett

hothett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

Hello Blade Zephon and thanks for joining me with my problem.

I have done what you have said. It has been about 5 minutes and it still says still connecting please wait.
"Connecting to logical Disk Management service"
"Still connecting please wait"

I will give it more time as I do stuff around the house but nothing so far. I will post back later when it does something OR I give up.

I might have been better to specify in the beginning that I am using several IDE HDs and using USB 2.0 cable and power supply to connect. I am very confident none of these external HDs have problems. I feel my PC just does not recognize this plug and play anymore. I purchased a new one a couple days ago. The very first time I pluged it in I got "new hardware" balloon along with all the other balloons. It worked just fine. I turned it off (with safe remove option) and a couple hours later tried to use it again and it just would never recognize the drive. Half of the time I do not even get the "safe to remove hardware" icon in the bottom corner.

#10 hothett

hothett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:16 PM

alright, I just got an answer, but I am not sure it is the right one.

I have 2 external drives hooked up ATM and it only sees one of them. the one it sees I know has a broken table and it says it is unreadable. I will redo this check with only the good drive connected and see what happens.

#11 hothett

hothett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:23 PM

it does not find the other drives at all. pluged in with either cable set.

#12 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,464 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

Hardware is not my specialty, so the amount of help I personally can provide is limited in scope. I will ask around though and see if I can get a few more brains on this. :thumbsup:

For the time being, lets see if we can isolate what the problem is. Try connecting the good drive to another PC, and see if that PC picks it up.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#13 hothett

hothett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:35 PM

That sounds like the obvious first move... but I have no other computer. I will try and see if my neighbor will let me hook to theirs to try and exclude some things.

Also, this might have something to do with it or not; I occasionally get a message saying I would get faster transfer rates IF connected to a USB 2.0 port. The thing is I am connecting to a USB 2.0 port. So I suspect either system problem identifying my ports and/or hardware wearing out. Electronics are NOT made to last forever ;). more money that way. LOL.

Thanks for your help. I will report back when I have tried another computer.

Thanks again. Limited help, but full hearted is totally awesome in my eyes.

#14 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,464 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:16 PM

So when you connect it you get the USB 2.0 message but it doesn't recognize the drive? That's really weird

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#15 hothett

hothett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:25 PM

No. When I connect my xd picture card reader it sometimes says that.
When I connect my external HDs sometimes the remove hardware button comes on and sometimes it does not. Since this problem has started my computer does not recognize a D drive (which is what the external comes up as when working). I thought maybe the external case's wiring or circits might have fried so I bought a new USB 2.0 IDE cable adaptor kit. The first time I used the kit it read the drive just fine. The next time I turned it on I get same problem - When I connect my external HDs sometimes the remove hardware button comes on and sometimes it does not but it will not recognize the drive.

So when you asked me to do My Computer Manage thing I decided to hook both the old and the new up with drives. One drive is perfectly fine (but junk to me since it is only 26G) and the other is a drive that had the date index table broken. I should be able to read part of that drive. I am using these drives until the problem is taken care of as to not damage the data all my other drives. But as I said the small 26g dive is perfectly fine.

weird problem. I just dont know what the DELL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users