Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could not remove/modify a key in registry after cracking ESET NOD32 [Moved]

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 excite

excite

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:17 AM

Hi everyone,
I had problem when "fixing" the antivirus software: ESET NOD32, now I could not remove/repair/reinstall NOD32, because it just gave me the same error like "could not open key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ESET/ESET Security/ Current Version/info" whatever I did.

Here are the story:
1. There was V3 version of NOD32 in my system, and I "fixed" it using a software like "ESET fix.exe" (should be some kid of malware software), then it was always reporting 31 days left for trial after the fix, and could update the virus database.
2. Several days ago, I wanted to upgrade to a new version, but I made a mistake: I did not unfix the old crack before upgrading and applying the new fix.
3. After upgrade, NOD32 failed to work, and now I can neither reinstall nor remove it, it just gave the error "could not open key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ESET/ESET Security/ Current Version/info".
4. I tried many methods, like removing in SAFE mode, changing the "Advanced" setting of registry key, edit the registry in Administrative mode, but none of them working, I just could not regain the full control to that registry key, I think that key was "protected" by the "fix" software.

I just tried "Combofix.exe", which created a log file after running, and there was info about that key in the log (under the section of LOCKED REGISTRY KEYS), thinking to upload the log file here if someone can help me.

Thank you all in advance for the help.

Edited by excite, 10 June 2009 - 07:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:11 AM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 61,356 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:17 PM

This is most likely the result of down;oading an illegal software. These items are put out there, loaded with malware. Continued use of these will most likely render your PC unbootable.

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

NOTE: Before saving MBAM please rename it to zztoy.exe....now save it to your desktop.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Edited by garmanma, 13 June 2009 - 12:25 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,719 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:45 AM

Also please download Rooter.exe and save to your desktop.
  • Double-click on Rooter.exe to start the tool. If using Vista, right-click and Run as Administrator...
  • A DOS window will appear and show the scan progress.
  • If you receive a Windows - No Disk error message, click Continue.
  • Once the scan is complete, a notepad file (Rooter.txt) containing the report will open and Rooter will automatically close.
  • A log will also be saved at %systemdrive%\Rooter.txt (where %systemdrive% is usually C: or the drive that you have Windows installed).
  • Copy and paste the contents of Rooter.txt in your next reply.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users