Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Key is stuck on keyboard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pendejo

pendejo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:29 PM

A key on my keyboard is stuck and I can't get it to unstick! The monitor screen is going bonkers. I've been pressing keys to no avail.

I turned the computer off but when I turn it back on, it does the same thing as before. I also unplugged it from the wall. Didn't help either.

Help! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Flob

Flob

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:41 PM

you can unscrew your keyboard for example..... and unstuck your key...

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:38 PM

They pry off.

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:21 PM

Sometimes keyboards go bad for no reason...is the key actually stuck into the bottom? Ive seen cases where the monitor just sent a bunch of commands with no keys being pressed.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:53 PM

As Enthusiast said, they (usually) pry off. Some keys have little wire thingies under them that have to be replaced carefully, some don't. There's always a chance you've spilled something on the keyboard that is making the key stick.

Is this a laptop or a desktop? Desktop keyboards are usually easily replaceable, though some keyboards, like Dell or Compaq, use special keyboard drivers. But you should be able to use any 101-key keyboard.

#6 pendejo

pendejo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:39 AM

My thanks to everyone for the replies.
I suspect I'm using the wrong word to describe the problem. (I'm still computer-challenged).

I'm using a desktop.

I have been saying that I have a key that is "stuck." Maybe I should be saying "locked" or "jammed." The keys on the keyboard all look normal, it doesn't look like any of them are depressed downward or physically "stuck." But something must be locked in place or jammed. Probably something to do with the "h" key. The monitor shows five or six lines of the letter "h" in sequence and then goes bonkers.

I can recall this happening several months ago when my daughter was using it. My son (not available) came to the rescue. I think I overheard them saying he pressed some certain keys in rapid succession to correct the problem. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users