Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - Network Issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ShmoGuy

ShmoGuy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:48 PM

Going for a blast from the past I've been trying to play some Heroes of Might and Magic 3 with a couple others over a home network, however my computer does not seem to be able to connect to the others (three in total, the other two computers operate fine and can play, but mine seems to be giving me issues.)

I use Windows Vista, have disabled my Firewall, refreshed my router (D-Link; wireless router, currently connected through a cable just in case it was something to do with my wireless), reset my computer, tried downloading Hamachi and running a connection through it, and had someone else take a look at my router and try seeing if there was anything there.

I go into the game, into the multiplayer option, TCP/IP, and when I arrive if I Host or try to join an already Hosted game (it shows the game, so I have the connection), it freezes for a while and then comes up with an error message, "Unable to connect, try again later" (something to that effect). Initially it was the firewall blocking, I enabled the game to have access with my Firewall then disabled the firewall entirely when that didn't work.

Please help, this urge to play outdated games might not go away until I actually play.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ShmoGuy

ShmoGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:38 AM

Did I post in the right section?

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:30 PM

This is the right section :thumbsup: .

You may want to close the unnecessary programs running in the background. Try closing anti-viruses and even anti-malware programs.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 ShmoGuy

ShmoGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:51 PM

Ive done all the closing i can think of

#5 ShmoGuy

ShmoGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:00 AM

Ahh, AVG has a firewall apparantly. The game works! I just had to go into the config options and close down AVG Watchdog and related AVG programs in order to play... there might be an option to change permissions inside of AVG as well, i'll have to check that.

Thanks for your help though.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:05 AM

Thank YOU for replying with your solution to the problem---it may help others with the same or similar problem!
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Fireman`

Fireman`

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:17 PM

Also need help, same game, im trying to connect to a game my friend is hosting, is it possible if its 2 different computers in 2 diff locations, we have ip adresses and everything else but idk how to get it working, using the tcp/ip deal.

help is appreciated!! :D

#8 captainmsniper

captainmsniper

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

hi there im kinda having the same problem i go into tcp/ip and the game tells me that the ip i have entered is wrong when i try to join a mates game and the same thing happens to him when i try and host we tryed hamachi and the same thing keeps happening please i need help asap cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users