Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Solution Center side-by-side error message

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mightymaude

mightymaude

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:35 PM

I just got a new HP desktop computer with Vista Home Premium SP1 loaded. I am trying to install an older Photosmart C6150 All-in-One printer. I downloaded the latest software from the HP webside. After install, the printer works great. When I run HP Solution Center to initiate a scanning operation, I get the following error message:

"C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqkygrp.exe The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. See event log...".

I have tried everything I can think of. I have used the L4 uninstall, disabled antivirus, cleaned the registry, etc. Nothing works. I spent hours on the HP web contact site but got no useful help. From searching other forums (including HP's) I know other people have experienced this or similar problems. Does anyone have a solution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:40 PM

Re: 'The application has failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect
This problem has annoyed me for months now, so I decided to have another go and I have just worked out how to successfully fix this issue!!!!!!!

The file that has the problem is a manifest file that is required for any program written in Microsoft Visual C.

In my case the file existed but was completely empty. The file is "C:\WINDOWS\WINXSX\MANIFESTS\x86_policy.8.0.microsoft.vc80.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_none_8a14c0566bec5b24.manifest"

As this is a system file, you cannot delete it from Vista (even with admin privileges) so first you have to take ownership of the file. To do, this follow the instructions on this link:

"http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-delete-a-s...sta/"

Once you own the file delete it and then reinstall the program that is failing (MS Flight Sim X Trail in my case).

Everything now works absolutely fine.

hardwareanalysis.com

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 mightymaude

mightymaude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

Thanks Garmanma. This sounds like a plausible solution. The system file you refer to does not exist on my computer. How did you determine that this was the .manifest file that was causing your issue? I will probably need to go through a similar process to figure out what is causing my conflict.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:48 AM

After much searching, your was the 2nd such error I've seen, this was the only understandable response I could find

I would imagine that you would have to enable view hidden files and folders and search for files in in the folder:C:\WINDOWS\WINXSX\MANIFESTS\
Look for empty or duplicate files

This is only an educated guess
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 mightymaude

mightymaude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:56 PM

Thanks again, Garmanna. I don't seem to be getting anywhere on this problem. HP has been absolutely worthless. How do I tell when a .manifest file is "empty"? There are no files with a zero size and there are about 30 files that show as 1k. Also, how is it possible that the files are duplicates? Windows won't allow them to have the same file name. How could I tell if there are 2 files with different file names but identical content?

These may be stupid questions but I am desparate enough to let my ignorance show :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users