Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ProxyOverride

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stret

Stret

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:30 PM

I've tried to find info on this particular HJT entry but there doesn't seem to be.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local

The tutorial says it has to do with IE but this entry only appears in one of my computers and none of them uses IE. Can anyone tell me what it means? Its driving me insane

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:32 PM

HijackThis is an advanced tool which requires advanced knowledge about the Windows Operating System. Most of the log entries are required to run a computer and removing essential ones can potentially cause serious damage such as loss of Internet connectivity or problems with your operating system which could preventing it from starting. HijackThis relies on trained experts to interpret the log entries and investigate them in order to determine what needs to be fixed. If you do not have advanced knowledge about computers or training in the use of this tool, you should NOT fix anything using HijackThis without consulting a expert as to what to fix.

A server is a computer that provides services used by other computers. A Proxy Server is a server that acts as a go-between for requests from client machines and other servers. A proxy also hides the computers behind it. When you configure your computer/browser to use a proxy server, you are telling it to send all traffic to that server instead of going directly to the actual destination. In otherwords, the web browser contacts the proxy server for each web access instead of going directly to the target server. The proxy server then makes the request of the web server, receives a response and sends it back the information retrieved to your computer. For more information, see Proxy Servers and DMZ and What's a Proxy Server?.

In Internet Explorer, (Tools > Internet Options > Connections tab) the LAN Settings has several options:
  • Automatically detect settings.
  • Use automatic configuration script.
  • Use a proxy server.
  • Bypass proxy server for local addresses.
If you enable the proxy you will then be able to click on the Advanced button which allows the following extra options:
  • Servers - This section will allow you to use the same proxy server for each of the protocols (HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, GOPHER, SOCKS) or assign different proxy servers for one or more proxy servers.
  • Exceptions - If you want to add more addresses that Internet Explorer will not use the proxy server for you can enter them in this field seperated by semi-colons.
Though it may appear you are using a proxy server, it may not actually be enabled. Most people who are using a proxy usually know they are using it.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 Stret

Stret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:30 PM

I just don't see how that entry was added though. My old HJT logs from a few month ago didn't have it. I also have another computer of exactly the same model and windows installation but it doesn't have it either. And I've also have never connected to a proxy server using either machine. Is there any way to know how it was added especially when I don't use Internet Explorer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users