HijackThis is an advanced tool which requires advanced knowledge about the Windows Operating System. Most of the log entries are required
to run a computer and removing essential ones can potentially cause serious damage
such as loss of Internet connectivity or problems with your operating system which could preventing it from starting. HijackThis relies on trained experts to interpret the log entries
and investigate them in order to determine what needs to be fixed. If you do not have advanced knowledge about computers or training in the use of this tool, you should NOT fix anything using HijackThis
without consulting a expert as to what to fix.
is a computer that provides services used by other computers. A Proxy Server
is a server that acts as a go-between for requests from client machines and other servers. A proxy also hides the computers behind it. When you configure your computer/browser to use a proxy server, you are telling it to send all traffic to that server instead of going directly to the actual destination. In otherwords, the web browser contacts the proxy server for each web access instead of going directly to the target server. The proxy server then makes the request of the web server, receives a response and sends it back the information retrieved to your computer. For more information, see Proxy Servers and DMZ
and What's a Proxy Server?
In Internet Explorer, (Tools > Internet Options > Connections tab) the LAN Settings has several options:
- Automatically detect settings.
- Use automatic configuration script.
- Use a proxy server.
- Bypass proxy server for local addresses.
If you enable the proxy you will then be able to click on the Advanced button which allows the following extra options:
- Servers - This section will allow you to use the same proxy server for each of the protocols (HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, GOPHER, SOCKS) or assign different proxy servers for one or more proxy servers.
- Exceptions - If you want to add more addresses that Internet Explorer will not use the proxy server for you can enter them in this field seperated by semi-colons.
Though it may appear you are using a proxy server, it may not actually be enabled. Most people who are using a proxy usually know they are using it.