Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG Anti-Virus Finds Virus in System Volume Information

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 salshroom

salshroom

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:32 PM

Ok, AVG Antivirus has a found a virus in my C:\System Volume Information folder. When I try to open this folder it says C:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied.

I even took the hard drive out of the computer and slaved it in another computer to try and scan and remove the virus, but it doesnt find it then and still wont allow me to open the folder. A search does not find the file either.

Any suggestions on how I could fix this would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:28 PM

Have you tried running a couple of online scans?
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 salshroom

salshroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:55 AM

I have run Norton 2005 PC Scan, THeir free online scan, AVG Scan, and one other my friend suggested that has slipped my mind at the moment. only avg has found the virus in the above specified folder.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:10 AM

Does it give the name, of the virus?
Try the 2 scans suggested.
Let us know what they turn up.
If they turn up nothing, I would guess AVG is giving a false positive.
Is there something specific your computer is doing, to make you suspect a virus?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 02:20 AM

Caution do this with care

You can access system volume information by doing the following on XP Pro, not got the home version to check if you can do this or not.

Open explorer
Tools
Folder options
View
Scroll down list and untick Use simple file sharing

Now right click on system volume information
Properties
Security
Add
Type in your user name
check name
OK
Now make sure you tick:
Full control
Modify
Write

You will now be able to access the content of this folder.

WARNING this information is to do with system restore my advice is once you have removed the offending file if it is a virus, undo what you have just done to stop accidental deletion.

However before removing the file, go onto the web go here http://virusscan.jotti.org/, stop AVG and upload the suspect file here to check it is a virus. Don't forget to restart AVG as soon as the file is uploaded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users