Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Motherboard - getting Windows Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cberger01

cberger01

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:44 AM

Hello! Right off the bat I want to apoligize for this being long winded - but I've been working on this never ending problem for quite some time in my spare time which is sparse. I am trying to get Windows to run on my Dell Dimension 8400 Desktop and I keep getting a blue screen error and windows will not start up.
A little back story - The system was working fine and we decided to upgrade the Ram, after doing this we starting getting the blue screen. Dell tech support said it was a bad ram chip so we replaced those and still had the problem. Then they determined it was the motherboard so we replaced that. I'm still getting the error but this time it only says its with the hard disk and keeps saying to run Chkdsk /f. I ran chkdsk & chkdsk /p (it said /f was invalid) and it did say that errors were found on the volume. I used my Windows XP reinstallation disk to completely reformat the drive and reinstall Windows and again once its ready to start windows I'm getting the blue screen - still referencing remove any new hard drives or hard drive controllers and run chkdsk /f. Also this is a brand new hard drive, though at this point its probably been reformated and the XP reinstalled 10 times, so I'm not sure if thats just bad or what.

Please help! I am desparate to get this working again. Its a great computer - processor speed etc otherwise I'd just scrap it!

Thanks for your help!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:45 AM

I would do two things:

a. Replace the CMOS battery.

b. Set the CMOS settings to default.

What is the exact blue screen error message content?

FWIW: Chkdsk /p may or may not be the same as running chkdsk /f, depending on where the command originates.

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/articles/x...commandline.htm

In any case, chkdsk /r is the more desireable command to run, whether in Windows or using the Recovery Console, IMO. It's more desireable because it includes all of the functionality in either the chkdsk /p or chkdsk /f commands...and it also attempts to recover system data which may lie in bad sectors of the hard drive.

Louis

#3 cberger01

cberger01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:12 PM

I reset the CMOS but I will have to find out where I can get a new battery so I haven't done that yet. I also ran chkdsk /r from the recovery console and it said it was complete but did not mention anything about errors being found or not.

Here is the entire error message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive
to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your
computer

Technical Information:

STOP : 0X0000007B (0XF789E528, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:41 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

FWIW: If you installed a hard drive which had previously been associated with a different motherboard...then it's unlikely that the drivers and settings from that board will work properly with a new board.

A CMOS battery can be obtained just about anywhere selling photo/electronic device batteries (Walmart,etc.).

Louis

#5 cberger01

cberger01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:04 AM

I believe this hard drive was brand new and never installed on the previous motherboard but because I've had this sitting for about 6 months I can't exactly remember the course of events since the start of our problems. Do you think a brand new one would boot up just fine? I've installed new hard drives before and never had any problems, just basically swapping them out and loading the OS and I was all set. Should there be something else I need to do before installing the OS since its a new motherboard? I'm slightly computer literate but more as an admin so I'm really just crossing my fingers here!

Thanks again for your help.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:35 AM

A new hard drive, with a clean install of XP...only requires that the hard drive be formatted (done by the XP CD)...partition created...and XP properly installed.

After the install of the O/S, all drivers for system components need to be installed (if they were not installed automatically by XP).

It's not common...but a new hard drive can be defective, as any man-made device can.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 May 2009 - 11:37 AM.

#7 cberger01

cberger01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:34 PM

I will try a new one. Thank you for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users